Wednesday, March 11, 2009

What a Wednesday

Well, if you want to make your 6 month post placement visit even more eventful and exciting, let your child fall, hit her head, lose consciousness, stop breathing, perform mouth to mouth, and take her by ambulance to the ER - all within 15 minutes of your appointment with the social worker. YES, that is how it all went down (literally).

Emma had the best day today. She is feeling so much better, very playful and happy today. She took a good nap and looked even more adorable than usual. I had the house clean, dinner almost ready so that I could go to work after the SW visit. Everything was clicking along nicely and then Emma fell. She was in the living room with Bo and he was about to take her upstairs and change her diaper. She was standing at the couch and evidently just slipped and fell, hitting the hard wood. I heard the fall and came to check on her and she was in Bo's arms and not making a sound. We thought she was in the middle of a horrible crying spell and hadn't taken a breath yet when I realized she wasn't breathing at all. Her arms stiffened and she was lifeless. Let me just say, I have never felt more helpless in my life. I have reassured a lot of parents after their child had an injury, but this was an entirely different ballgame. I laid her down and tried to wake her, but she was completely out. I didn't feel her breathing and I began mouth to mouth and after 4-5 breaths, she took a breath and began to cry. During all of that, Bo called 911. After she woke up and began to cry she immediately started to fall asleep and her color was so pale. We decided to take her straight to the hospital, but then decided to take her to the local EMS station and go by ambulance and I am so glad that we did. She had one episode of vomiting and then was just listless all the way to the hospital with a few episodes of crying. When she got to the hospital, she began to come around and start acting normal and the doctors and nurses just monitored her for about 2 1/2 hours. She seems fine now and I will watch her closely tonight. Bo and I are slowly becoming more calm and our blood pressure is no longer in the stroke range.

I have to comment on my boys during all of this. Brady was watching the whole thing and actually dialed 911 for us. I think it scared him to death and seeing his mother fall apart didn't help things. I am usually pretty together, but this was completely different. Ashton had no clue anything was going on. He was holed up in the man cave and then just appeared as we were rushing out of the house. He was very concerned as well and they have been so sweet with her since she came home.

So, our social worker came and my mother was here to talk to her. I talked with her on the phone and gave her the story and she was so sweet and said she would be praying for us. I hope to get our visit rescheduled real soon, before the house gets dirty again:)

So, how was your day?

I am hoping that I never experience that again. I know that Emma was only out for a short time, according to Bo. However, it seemed like a lifetime to me and I kept thinking please God let her be okay. I don't ever want to feel so helpless again. I am more thankful tonight than I have been in a long time. We take so many things for granted and with one little accident, it can all change.

Well, I am off to bed and ready for it. I am exhausted and plan on getting up every few hours to check on little miss.

Thanks for everyone who prayed for our family tonight. We are so thankful for friends and family and above all for our Heavenly Father who is always watching over us.

7 comments:

nineshoe said...

Wow! What a day! We were just talking tonight about our episode with Barrett taking off her floaties, falling into the pool and Ben having to perform CPR while Brad was on the phone with 911.

We got an email just today to schedule Ephraim's one-year post-placement. I sure hope it's not as exciting as yours!!!

Maria said...

Oh my goodness and here I told you not to worry about the PP visit at all. I would have been SCARED out of my MIND, girl. I cannot imagine how in the world you made it through it. I cannot IMAGINE that. I am SO SO SO glad she is ok!!! Hugs to her (and you and Bo too!). Whew.

Anonymous said...

We heard the news when we got to church last night. I am so relieved everything is OK. Sounds like you did everything right. I know she will be getting spoiled even more today than usual. We love ya'll.

Brenda Shearon

Melissa said...

I am sooooo glad everything is okay! I just kept thinking (after we knew she was all right) that I do not know how to do CPR!

Edgar and Barbara said...

Oh my goodness...what a scare!Sorry to have read what happened to Emma...but SO glad to hear that she is doing better. Please give her a big hug from the us! Can't wait to see you all again...hope it's soon!

Much love,
The Figueroa's
Edgar, Barbara & Crystina

Lindsey Carney said...

Oh my, mt heart was beating like crazy just reading the story. I'm so glad she is okay and you know CPR!

Anonymous said...

Bob called and told me what had happened. I'm so thankful that everything is o.k. and glad he and Brian were able to go to Vandy to be there with you.

Look forward to seeing you soon!