Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Please Don't Let Her See her Shadow



Major static issues going on while enjoying her ride.
Okay, so I am suffering from uncertainty about this whole mothering thing. Well, let's face it, who doesn't at some point?
The one constant with Emma has been her sleeping. She has always napped well and never had too many issues about sleeping at night. You lay her down, she grabs her favorite stuffed animal, monkey, and she goes to sleep. The stars are no longer in alignment because my girl ain't happy about sleeping anymore.
Yesterday she woke up from her nap and began crying very shortly afterwards. I hadn't gotten her out of bed immediately because I was in a haze from lack of sleep after working. She was okay after that and then when I tried to put her to bed last night she began screaming and held on to me with a death grip. I gave her a little more mommy time and rocked her and then tried to put her down and she did the same thing. We played a little game of I cover her up with the blanket and act surprised to find her underneath it (kids are so funny) and then she settled down and went to sleep. Alas, nap time today was a different story. She is no longer easily amused by the blanket trick. She held on to me again like there was no tomorrow and when I finally put her down she screamed and cried and attempted to climb out of the crib. I turned on her music and left her praying that I wouldn't hear her fall out of the crib. Please, not another repeat of last Wednesday! After about 10 minutes she finally went to sleep. So I ask you, WHAT's UP? She has always been great about sleeping and now this turn of events.
Is it a 2 year old thing? Is it because I worked several nights and I wasn't here and she thinks that she will wake up and I won't be here? Is it an adoption thing? I am hoping that it is short lived.
The other big thing is this child is scared of her shadow. Not literally, but you know what I mean. She has hated the dogs since day 1 and although she reached her hand out to Gypsy today, she quickly took it back. I was outside hanging clothes on the line and the towels were blowing in the breeze. She screamed and attempted to climb out of her wagon which she was strapped in to. It was crazy.
She is also startled easily. I think that may have something to do with her hearing and I am so anxious to have our ENT apt. tomorrow.
So, that's about it in nutshell. We are facing some new challenges and I am a bit concerned. When you have a child that is adopted you really question everything and how it might relate to the adoption. Does that ever stop?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

im so confused. My two year old, i just found out yesterday that she is also afriad of her shadow. She has had open heart surgeries etc, and Im not sure if it is because of all she has been thru or what! Yesterday morning she woke me up at 4am and screamed her head off, she even threw up because she was so upset. I finally realized lastnight that she is AFRAID OF HER OWN SHADOW! I dont know what to do, I am stumped. She isnt afraid of anything else, and I cant even set her down on the floor, because she will scream! HELP!