Sunday, September 21, 2008

Weekend Happenings and Look at Her Go

This is Emma crawling through the house. She looks so funny! But she can get around!



What a silly grin!
Her "bug" look. She loves her shades.
Well, we are surviving the weekend, although it's been a little hard. Emma seemed to have a hard day yesterday. She woke up happy, but refused her bottle, cried nonstop, thrashed about and just generally wasn't a happy camper. I don't know if it was because we were off our normal routine with Bo and the boys at home, or if she was just having a bad day. It's funny, but when your biological child wakes up whining you immediately think about the physical things that could be wrong with them. When your adopted child wakes up whining, you start thinking about what you are doing wrong and is she having some type of adjustment problem. Of course, I am only speaking for myself. Her ears could have been hurting due to the wax removal by the doctor, but it wasn't her best day. We had to go to Brady's band competition which was an hour and half away, but she traveled pretty well and immediately started doing her dance when the band began playing. She was better as the afternoon wore on, but her schedule was completely off yesterday. Only an hour nap, less bottles. She slept great and woke up at 6:30 this morning and took her bottle right away. She has been happy all morning except for nap time. She wouldn't take a bottle again, so I skipped it and put her in the crib. She is loving her new crib toy and played with it for about 45 minutes before finally going to sleep.
She and I skipped church this morning. I still think it is too soon to go, especially after she had such a hard morning yesterday. I might toss around the idea of taking her tonight, but we will play that by ear. Bo thought it would be okay to go ahead and take her to the morning service, but I just have my doubts. I keep reminding him that I was the one who actually read the books about attachment, etc. and that he didn't. I know he just wants to show her to our church family and I do to, but not too soon. It seems like she has been here forever, but it's only been a week.
We have a busy week on hand. She will have to go with me to Sylvan tomorrow while Brady is there for 2 hours, so that should be fun. Ashton has 2 golf matches and tennis practice everyday. Brady has another band competition on Saturday and I intend to go back to work Friday night. It should play out to be another busy week around here.



2 comments:

Maria said...

Not that I am by ANY means an expert, but I think you are right about holding off a few weeks for church. As much as I want to take Ellie to church, I know that SO many people are going to want to see and touch her and crowd around her that it will be absolutely overwhelming for her. I HAVE to go to a football game the morning I return so I'm concerned about that already. *sigh* We just thought it would be easier when we got home, didn't we? Continuing to think of you often and hope that things are going well! Hugs.

Erica said...

She is just so adorable! Her little smile is contagious.

Okay, seriously, I had to laugh at the part about your being the one to actually read the books on attachment - the same rings true in our household as well. Honestly, from what I've read (sigh - where's our baby?) I think you are right about holding off about church right now. She seems to be doing well for the most part and is bonding with you, so I think you are definitely on the right track. We're still praying for you!

The Reeds