Friday, September 19, 2008

Back Home for a Week - WOW

It's hard to believe that we have already been home for a week. Thank God! It's been a busy week with the boys having a lot going on and I couldn't have made it without my mother, my mother-in-law, and Dede! They have been so helpful getting my boys around and I can't thank them enough.

Emma had her doctor's apt. today and overall, she did well. She weighed 20.5, and was 33" long. Her weight is obviously in the low range, but the doctor wasn't overly concerned. He agreed that we should not be forcing her to eat and that we should just offer her a spoon and let her play with it and attempt to put it in her mouth. Of course I have been doing all those things, but she wants no part of it. We are going to keep her on formula and cereal with the added fruit baby food and see how she does. She makes no real attempt to put her mouth on any of her toys or put anything in her mouth, so she certainly has some issues there. I think it will just come with time and as we continue working on it. She didn't like having her ears cleaned out at all. A little Chinese ear wax build up had to be taken care of. She also has some eczema, which I already knew. Otherwise, she checked out well. We have made an apt. with a hand surgeon at Vandy and will be having xrays of her hands and feet and see where we go from there. She also has to have blood drawn in the next few weeks and then go back to the doctor in a month and have another physical and her immunizations. That should be a fun visit:)

Brady has to march at the football game tonight, so we are going to make it a family event and attempt to take Emma to her first big outing. I hate to get her out too soon, but I have not had an opportunity to see Brady march and I will be back at work next Friday night and will not have another chance. I hope she does well and we plan on leaving immediately following the band. I don't want to stress her too much.

She is sleeping better. (Fingers crossed). We are keeping her up until 8:00-8:30 and that seems to be helping. She is so happy when she wakes up. The smile on her face will melt you. It's like her world is just perfect when she sees me coming to her crib. It's wonderful.

I am having a hard time loading my pictures, but I will be working diligently to get them on. I took several of her yesterday "crawling" from the living room to the kitchen. She looks like an inch worm inching along with her behind in the air. Too cute.

2 comments:

Maria said...

Great to read the update. Apparently my friend Elizabeth (www.elizabethandbill.blogspot.com) reads your blog more than me. She asked today how the doctor's appointment went. Huh? Glad to see it went well. Hoping your night out went well too!

Vonda and John said...

Mayme - I know of you through Melissa Lewis. We adopted our daughter Lacie from China three years ago. She never put anything in her mouth - not once. I had to teach her to put food in her mouth but using tasty treats. First I put food in her mouth and then put the food in her hand and had her do it. She eventually got the idea. She is a good eater. Letting her just play in food is a great idea. The different textures are good for her. Just take her clothes off down to her diaper and let her play.

I read earlier too that your daughter sucked "next" to her fist. Lacie does that too (still) - she sucks her tongue right next to her blankie. I have another friend who's daughter from China did the same thing. It seems to be common - oddly.

We have been praying for your family - Blessings

Vonda