Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Emma Goes to Walmart

Okay, so I have to brag on my little girl for doing so well on her first trip to Walmart yesterday afternoon. I had prepared myself for the worse and it didn't happen. That's not to say it won't happen the next time, but yesterday was a good day. I dropped Brady off at Sylvan and headed to Walmart (yes, I usually don't shop there, but I had to yesterday). I put the shopping cart mat play thing in the cart and finally got her hooked in. She's so squirmy that's it's hard to contain her. As soon as I started pushing the cart she started smiling. We entered the realm of the unknown - Walmart.

I introduced her to the toy aisle, probably not the smartest thing to do, but she was not interested. Her favorite thing to play with was the ring on my little composition book that I keep my running grocery list in. She liked sticking her pinkie in it and playing with it. Her second favorite thing to do was lean over the front of the cart and watch my feet as I was pushing the cart. She is easily entertained! I didn't even buy her a toy at all. We shopped for over an hour and she never whined. It was very pleasant and I was very proud of her.

As I proceeded to check out, the cashier had so much advice to offer me. Wasn't that nice of her. She proceeded to tell me that I should never leave home without a sippy cup (Emma only takes a bottle), that I should have a pacifier for her (never has taken one), that the little toe would be all she needs for balance (really), and that when Emma is putting her finger to her nose and mouth that she wants to be fed. Well, I just didn't realize what valuable advice I would receive as I paid for my groceries. No extra charge!

I did notice a few kids looking at Emma's hands yesterday, but I didn't hear anyone say anything. Now that we have had her for 3 weeks, I don't even notice her hands or feet anymore. She is just Emma. I am preparing myself for the comments and questions ahead, but I admit I am not looking forward to it.

We had company last night. The best part was it was company with food and gifts! My life long friend Shelley brought us a delicious breakfast casserole which we enjoyed some of this morning and our neighbors Iris, Robert, Jessie and Ben came and brought Emma an outfit and visited for a while. It was very nice and Emma stayed up longer than she has before. She seems a little more tired this morning, so we are planning an early nap.

No big plans for the day and I am glad of that. We are about to have bath time, which she has decided is not her favorite. She is still not eating any solids, but I am still trying.

Have a great day!

No comments: