Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Wednesday Update

Okay, so I'm not doing real well on blogging. I may have forgotten just how much goes in to taking care of a little one, plus taking care of the big ones as well!

Emma had a difficult time the first couple of nights sleeping. She's waking up and crying and then I put her in the bed with us and all she wanted to do was play. Monday night she did the same thing and I pulled her crib up close to our bed where she could see me and slept with my hand over the rails where she could touch me. She seemed to do well with that. It's like she just needs to know that I am there. Of course, my right shoulder is about to kill me now from laying it over the railing! Last night she went to bed a little later and I prayed really hard that she would sleep. God answered my prayer! I also ran a little fan in the room so that she had some noise. I don't know if that helped or not, but she did sleep until 8:30 this morning! She woke up so happy and smiling.

We made our first trip out in public together today. I had to run to the post office and the grocery and she did well. She loved the shopping cart. We were only in the store for a few minutes and she was all smiles until I began checking out. She wanted to be moving and she let me know it. We also ran to Dede's and she was pretty interested in the cat. She kept a close watch on him. She is still watching the dogs closely too.

She is really using her hands so well. She is picking a few things up and pushing her toys around. She is really showing a lot of interest in things, but seems to tire quickly. The sweetest thing was last night when Brady was in the floor playing his guitar and she was laying in front of him helping. I will post the picture as soon as I have a chance! She was using her little pinkies to pick at the strings. I was preparing dinner (well, crock pot chicken - I'm having a hard time getting back into the swing) and I heard Brady tell her she needed to be careful and not pull the strings very hard because it could come loose and hit her in the eye and then she would be blind as well as missing her fingers and wouldn't that be a problem. It was so sweet because he was so serious. He is really a sweet big brother and so is Ashton.

Overall, I think she is doing well. Still no food, but it will come. I am thickening her bottles a little at a time. She is tolerating the formula change pretty well also. I am so anxious to see the doctor and get his thoughts on everything.

Our downstairs project is coming along nicely. My father-in-law has done a great job working on it and I think the boys will be moving downstairs in just a week or so. The next big project will be preparing her nursery! Nothing like the cart before the horse syndrome.

I will admit that I am pretty exhausted. I slept well last night while she slept, but I'm certainly feeling the effects of parenting a little one. I think I may still be a little jet lagged, but I'm not sure how long I can use that excuse:) 40 is certainly not 26, but I think it will get better as time goes on and we get on a schedule.

I promise to post more pictures soon. I have a few cute ones that I know everyone will want to see.

2 comments:

Christy said...

Welcome home McGowen family. I have tried to send you a message or two but not real sure if you got them. My name is Christy and we live not to far from you. We adopted a wonderful little girl who has the same thing as your daughter. I would love for them to meet someday. My little one is 17 mo old and her name is Emi. you can check her out at our website www.ourdaileyblessings.com. If you are interested my email address is christy.dailey@ets.exel.com.
Blessings....

Lindsey Carney said...

Hey Mayme, it was so wonderful meeting you today. Our blog is www.carneyadoption.blogspot.com and my e-mail address is lindsey@treasure2farm.com We definitely have to get together, Emma is precious.