Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Good Morning from Nanjing

Well, little miss and I survived the day alone and it was a full day. The guys were gone for almost 12 hours, so I am so glad that she and I didn't make the trip. Bo came back with tons of pictures and a heart full of love for the orphanage. I will let him do the blogging on it, because he has so much to share.

Emma did great yesterday, but had a break down about an 1 hour before they got back. She wouldn't eat, wouldn't be consoled. I think she was grieving. It was the most pitiful cry and there was no making her happy. As of right now she has not had anything to eat in about 18 hours, so I am hoping she wakes up starving. I tried so hard to feed her and she won't let you hold her and feed her, she has to be laying down. She would have no part of it. I really believe her heart was breaking last night. It was so sad. Of course, my heart was breaking for her as well. But today is another day and we will see what happens.

She is very alert and follows me around the room. She is babbling more and has said momma several times. She cracks up at the funniest things. She is still grinding her teeth a lot, but it seemed like she did it less yesterday. The saddest thing of all is that she sucks her imaginary thumb when she is tired. She doesn't put her hand in her mouth, just up close to it and sucks. It's almost like she knows there should be something there and it isn't.

She is precious and we are falling in love with her more and more each day. At first it seemed like we were babysitting, but now she is beginning to feel more like ours. I think it all just takes time.

Today were are supposed to go sight seeing, so say a prayer that she will be okay and not fuss too much. I practiced with her in the stroller yesterday and she wouldn't lean back at all. I'm sure she has never seen a stroller before.

Thanks again for everything and we love you all. 8 more days and we get to come home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bo and Mayme Brady and Ashton Congratulations on Emma she is a doll. We are so excited for all of you I know Brady and Ashton will be great big brothers to Emma they are always so sweet to our son Jaymes Steven. Can't wait to meet the newest member of our family. You guys are in our prayers we love you and wish you all the best.Love Jayme Lee Steve and Jaymes Steven and our (5) foster cats P.S. Bo I think I would have passed on the duck head soup too!

Melissa said...

I'm glad that things are going better. It's just going to take some time!

Anonymous said...

My heart just melts when I see Emma and realize what she must be going through and how hard it is for all of you. In time, she will not remember any of this and will you will be the only family she has ever known. We pray and think of you all the time and look forward to when you get home.

Wife of the Pres. said...

Mayme, I can't find the words. I am so emotional right now. Thank you, thank you for sharing so honestly. And her sucking at her imaginary thumb, well I just cried. I made a new friend since you have been gone and she wants to meet you! You will have to visit her blog when you get home and just see her 5-year-old to understand why she wants to meet you and sweet Emma. She lives here in town.

And the orphanage photos, I just have no words. All those precious babies sleeping there and then the laundry folding photo. They all have such longing looks on their sweet faces.

Praying for you to have a safe rest of your trip and for Emma to continue the grieving and bonding process. As hard as it must be, it sounds like she is really making strides in that. Hugs to you, L