Saturday, September 6, 2008

Saturday - I think 9/6 Medical Exam Day

Oh yes, I'm loving these shoes. I feel like Zha Zha.
Practicing our frog pose.
All of the ladies at the museum are checking her out.
In front of the Nanjing Museum.
I kind of like this big boy. He's a lot of fun to play with.

In front of the clinic for the medical exam.
Yes, this was a major hit.
Trapper John.
All of the families in front of the clinic. This couple next to me are from Orlando and we love them. They have been great to be with. Their little sweetie is Christina. The little boy sitting is the 12 year old that is being adopted.

Today we had our medical exam (well, hers). It was not exactly a real detailed exam, but they weighed her and measured her and I think she was 20.4 pounds. It's hard to hear what they are telling you while there are 16 screaming little ones in a cramped room. I can't recall how long she was and I can't read Chinese. Suffice it to say, she is long.
They looked in her ears and said they looked good and did a quick listen to her. No very thorough. When the doctor (Bo kept calling him Trapper John - shorts, sandals and white coat - perhaps our docs should dress this way:), looked at her hands he had such a puzzled look. It was almost like he was wondering if we realized the she had no fingers except her pinkies. Imagine his surprise when I removed her socks. That really got his attention and then he proceeded to call all his colleagues to look at her feet as well. I felt like we were on display. She tolerated it pretty well though. He asked if she was walking and we said no, was she eating solid foods, we said no. Then he proceeded to inform us (through our guide) that she needs to be eating solid foods. No kidding Trapper John, we have only had her 5 days, how about you explaining that to the orphanage! I was a little upset, but I have to remember what Bo keeps telling me, "keep it under control, we're almost home". Bo has been my rock. I couldn't have done this without him by my side.
It was so good to see the other families. All of the children are so sweet and so many different stories and reactions. We have a 12 year old little boy that was adopted by another family. I cannot even imagine what that is like for them. He seems to be doing well, but I am sure there are many adjustments ahead. Well, for all of us.
Bo has to meet with the guides this afternoon to do paperwork and pay our final fees. (Side note for Leslie - BRING MORE MONEY THAN YOU THINK YOU NEED). Trust me on this one. Then we have an evening of no real plans. Most of the families are meeting at a restaurant here in the hotel for dinner. It's a Japanese place and Brady's eyes lit up when they mentioned steak. Oh that does sound so good.
We force fed little miss prior to nap time. We had gone to the grocery with the group and I bought her a different spoon and a carrier that she likes better. To be so skinny, she is heavy. My right arm is killing me. Bo really likes the carrier because it won't fit him. Guess what that means. When we returned to the room, I mixed her some cereal and pears and Bo held her tight and I fed her. She was not happy, but did manage to keep most of it down. I almost wonder if she has had some traumatic experience being fed. Please pray that this will get better. I feel so bad that she doesn't want to eat regular food and has a mouth full of teeth. Bo keeps saying it will just take time. Another good thing is that she let him hold her and take her bottle before nap time. That is a good sign. She really loves him.
The boys are doing well. Bo took them to McDonald's for lunch, but I stayed with Emma and ate peanut butter. I couldn't eat another burger. They have managed to do some homework, but still have plenty left to do. They had a life changing experience today with a little boy on the street begging. He was approximately 12 or 13 and was begging right up in every one's face. He was obviously delayed, but the guides have instructed us not to give them anything, so I held Bo off from giving him money. I felt sorry for him, but I didn't want to do something we weren't supposed to.
I received an e-mail today from the National Visa Center and there may be some confusion on the visa for her to come home. Please pray now that there won't be any problems that would cause a delay in our leaving. I don't think I could deal with that one.
Again, we love you all and appreciate your support and prayers. They are much needed. Emma is improving each day, but she is definitely behind developmentally. I made the mistake of comparing her to the other little ones, and I can see a difference. I still think that most of it is due to her being in the orphanage and not having her fingers to help her develop. She is blossoming so much, so I do think that she is going to be fine. It will just take some time and some meat and potatoes would be helpful too.
Time to sign off. Someone is waking up and I hear the grunting noise that would indicate that I have a prize waiting for me in her diaper. Isn't parenting the greatest:)

5 comments:

Carla Lewter said...

Mayme,
I so feel for you with the eating. We have gone through the same thing with Charlotte. Part of it was her CL/CP but the other had to do with not being offered solid foods in the orphange, and lastly just needing time to trust us. She is finally, starting to try new stuff but it has been hard and Bo is right she will just need time. Time to trust you and know that you are only going to do the best for her. I know she needs to bulk up so can I suggest that you cut a bigger hole in one of her bottles and then mix the cereal and baby food in with formula. Not too think at first and then you can change the consistency, this is how we were able to get Charlotte the nutrients she needed for about the first 6 months. I know it goes against all of our mommy instincts to keep giving the bottle, but that is what she was used to and trusted. I just made her special little smoothies as I called them. I mixed everything in cereal, baby food fruit and vegtables. I hope this helps a little, feel free to contact me when you get home, I so understand where you are coming from and the frustration it causes a mommy.

In Him,
Carla L.

Lindsey Carney said...

Hey Mayme, I know you are going to get all sort of advice and suggestions. I immediately thought of a friend of mine's little girl who was adopted from Albania had a very big issue with food (they couldn't even force the issue). After they got custody of her she refused to eat and they had someone get back in touch with the orphanage to see what she used to eat out of. It was very specific. She always ate out of a red cup and some kid of banana mixture. They had to go buy a red cup and mixed up some banana stuff and she immediately started eating. They just stuck with what she was used to until they got home and she got more comfortable and then they started trying new things. She's doing great now! We're praying for you guys!!

Melissa said...

I bet she's just not used to the food! I know that Camden, even though he was much younger than Emma at 8.5 months old, had never had any solid foods, and he was quite resistant and just didn't like the texture. He's still has some texture issues, in fact.

Love all the different poses Emma is giving you! 20 lbs can definitely seem heavy! My arms were sooooo sore in the weeks immediately following Camden and Rory coming home, but you eventually adjust!

Wife of the Pres. said...

OMGoodness. Freaking out! We are taking extra but how much? Charlie says we might need to offer some "incentive" but now I am worried. OK, PLEASE EMAIL me if you get time. I don't want to bother you though!

And Mayme, I must say she looks long in that photo where she is all stretched out. That is funny! You know, Susannah (if the measurements are right) is not that short but she is so very skinny. Of course, part of that for her is her particular SNs.

Oh, I wish I was there with you. Can you believe we will practically pass in the airport!?! We get into Beijing on Sept. 12 in the afternoon and I think you fly home that day. We have GOT to plan a time to MEET after we all get home and have time to breathe!

Take care and enjoy the rest of your trip!!!

Melissa said...

Brian wanted me to let you know that he just printed Sunday School rolls for the fall, and he was so excited to add Emma to the roll.