Friday, May 2, 2008

Thoughts about our daughter

I went to visit Angel and new baby Mason on Wednesday. He's so adorable and so little. I think you forget exactly how little babies are when you have boys that weigh as much as you do. I have been thinking a lot about what it must be like for a birth mother to give up her baby for adoption. While I was holding Mason and he was snuggled up on my chest, I could only imagine whether anyone would ever snuggle my daughter that way or will she have been abandoned right away and left at an orphanage where she will hopefully be held and loved, but realize that there could be numerous babies that require attention and she may only get what the nannies can give. I have no idea how old she will be when we get the referral, but for at least the first 6 months she will not be ours (probably much longer), and I can only hope and pray that someone is loving her, holding her, and letting her know she is special. It's hard to think that there will be a huge amount of time that will be lost for us as parents. Having 2 biological children, I realize just how special and formative that time is and I hate that I will never share it with Emma. I think that we will have to work much harder as parents to make up for that lost time and I look forward to spending many hours with her. As for the birth mother, I can only imagine what it must feel like to leave her child. I may never know the reason behind her leaving Emma, but I will choose to believe that it was altruistic. A complete sacrifice for her child. I will choose to believe that because I know as a mom that would be the only reason I could leave mine. By her sacrifice, we become a complete family. I will never judge her for that.

No comments: