Monday, December 15, 2008

When Frugal Goes Bad

Emma's new favorite food is scrambled eggs. She has eaten 2 eggs every morning for at least 10 days. She loves them. Her face just lights up when I pour them out of the skillet. I had 2 left this morning which meant grocery shopping. Well, that and I needed several other things. If you have read my blog for any length of time or you know me, you know that I am a big coupon shopper. It's a challenge for me to see how much I can save and I love it when I get things free. That's the biggest rush of all. Today I would have gotten free bath wash for the boys. Notice I said would have. Emma and I began our grocery outing at Walmart, which isn't my favorite place, but that's a different story. I needed to get several things, plus some Christmas gifts for the boys. I had my list ready, checking all my coupons and making sure that I was getting my best deals. The problem came when I checked out and then I couldn't find my handy little notebook and approx. $25 worth of coupons. No where to be found and this was after the clerk had finished checking me out. I was devastated. I was then forced to pay full price for things that I wouldn't normally get and being the cheap person that I am I thought I was going to get sick. Now that Emma is along for the ride, and she is a good shopper, it's harder to be organized. I have a very detailed way of doing things and she just sort of changes the details. So I left the store and I still have no idea where the notebook and coupons ended up. I suspect I left them at the pharmacy when I was getting my medicine to help with my new friend, carpal tunnel syndrome. While I was paying for my prescription there was a man that began talking to Emma (I had to point out that "he" was a "she"). He spoke fluent Chinese and proceeded to talk to us and ask me if I knew Chinese. I wanted to dazzle him with my ability to say hello and thank you, but he didn't let me get a word in.

Emma and I then headed to Kroger for a few things. Most of which I couldn't remember because my handy notebook was gone. Emma loves the car shopping carts and rode in it while I picked up the few things that I could recall. We checked out and headed to the car. As I got her out of the cart to put her in the car seat she began throwing a 2 year old tantrum and made her displeasure well known. She didn't want to get in the car seat and we had a slight battle of the wills. I won.

To make the day even more fun, Ashton called on my way home to tell me that school was dismissing early due to the possibility of inclement weather. Only in the South. So we are home, Emma is napping, I am making Chex Mix (oh, they smell so good), Ashton is eating oatmeal, Brady is eating dry cereal, and before you can count to 10 it will be time to go back to the grocery store. I must find a new notebook and get my Type A system back in place.

No comments: