Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Ever Have One of Those Days?

So yesterday was just a weird day. That pretty much sums it up.

We started the day out rushing to Vandy for Emma to have her hearing tested. I had already cancelled that appointment twice before and I still wasn't sure if she would be able to perform the testing correctly, but we went ahead with it. We were running late (as usual) and Bo dropped Emma and me off in front of the building at Vandy (busiest place on Earth) and he went to find a parking place. We signed in, made it back to the testing area and that's where the screaming began. She did well at first and turned her head accordingly to the sounds. She lost interest when they decided to "take a picture of her inner ear" with a little instrument. She fell apart and the testing wasn't much fun after that. She finally calmed down again and followed some of the sounds, but she definitely has some deficit in both ears, primarily the right ear. However, she did have fluid behind both ear drums and the audiologist wanted her to see her doctor and have it checked. So we pack up our screaming baby and I start to call the pediatrician to attempt to get an apt. while we are in town and my phone is no where to be found. I search the diaper bag, my purse, the car, around the car, everywhere. No phone. We attempt to call the phone, no sounds to be heard. I have lost my cell phone. I still call the doctor and manage an apt. for 2:20 that afternoon and we head to Target to finish some Christmas shopping and locate the nearest Verizon store and take care of my lost phone situation. I am already just feeling a bit stressed, but I am trying to keep it all together. We hadn't planned on spending the afternoon in Nashville, so Emma only had a few goldfish crackers and a juice bottle (sounds like the boy that fed 5,000). We pick up a few things for her to eat at Target and finish up some shopping and Bo gets a call from my phone that it was turned in at Vandy. Praise God. We check out and head back to Vandy. The phone had been slightly abused since I lost it. It's scratched up pretty bad and the camera lens thing (my technical terminology) was broken, but it works. The lady at the desk where it was turned it was pretty funny and had managed to take a picture of herself while attempting to locate the owner. She just started calling people on my contact list and managed to call my friend Brenda and Brady's former bassoon instructor twice. But the long and short of it is that some nice, honest person turned in my abused phone and I don't have to buy another one.

So we have a couple of hours to kill and we head out to one of the malls. Traffic was a nightmare and we decide we will just head on over to the doctor's office. Did I mention that Bo is on a clear liquid diet for a procedure that he is having done today? Did I mention that there are no fast food places that serve jello and broth? He makes a quick stop at Kroger and gets a 6 pack (of jello) and some chicken bouillon cubes for later on. Emma is napping in the car seat and we just let her be while we wait on the apt. Bo downs his 6 pack (only 10 calories per serving) and I grab a Wendy's. I do feel a bit guilty eating Wendy's in the car with my husband, but then I have flash backs to being in labor and not getting to eat while he ate without me. In all fairness, he didn't do it in the room with me.

Emma saw the doctor and I believe that every child within a 50 mile radius was also seeing the doctor. I thought it would take forever, but thank God we actually were seen and out within 3o minutes. I was so impressed. Her ears were full of fluid and Dr. H said that if she were a regular kid without an unknown history (how many ear infections has she had?) he wouldn't treat her, but since we don't know what her history is, he prescribed her Amoxil and we are going to recheck her ears in a month. If she still has fluid, he thinks we will just go ahead with tubes. Obviously I am not happy with that, but I am not surprised at all. So our prayer is that she will have clear ears in a month and we can recheck her hearing and it will be okay. I hope that her hearing loss is only related to the fluid she has and not from damage that she has sustained from untreated ear infections in the past. Brady had the worst ear infections when he was little and would wake up during the night just screaming his head off and sleep in my arms. When I think about Emma having the same thing in an orphanage where she may never have had someone to hold her and comfort her, it just about breaks my heart. I can't even think about it.

So today, Bo has his procedure. He has had fun night preparing for it. So we head to Nashville again and start the day anew. I hope that my cell phone remains intact and that my husband doesn't scream like Emma did during her testing. At least he gets drugs during his:)

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Sorry about your crazy day! Hopefully Emma's ears will clear up with a bit of medicine!

Let us know how Bo's test goes.

Stacey said...

Boy! I remember those hearing tests! Keaton screamed so hard for two hours straight after they "blew" in her ear with some little contraption that she was wringing wet in sweat. It was *not* a fun ride home in the car that day!

Anonymous said...

Well, my condolences and sympathies to Bo. I have been there and done that several times. I trust Emma will do just fine.
ER BOB