Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve

As I attempt to type this post while my little girl sits at my feet playing with an empty photo album and address stickers (she's easily entertained), I can't believe what a year we have had. When I reflect back on the last few months, starting in January when we made the decision to go special needs, to April when we got a call about a little girl that we knew God didn't plan on us adopting, to June 13 when we got the call about Emma and all the things that have happened from that day forward, I am in awe of it all. Our lives have changed drastically and my heart is beyond full. When I look into her little eyes and see how happy she is and how happy she makes our family, it just overflows and of course, falls down my cheeks. She is our daughter that God planned on us having long before we knew what that plan was. Never say what you will and won't do, because God may just surprise you and you may have to eat those words.

While I waited for Bo to complete his procedures yesterday (and he is doing well), a lady in the waiting area was talking to everyone else in the waiting area. She was very nice and very chatty. When we began talking, she asked how many kids I had and their ages. When I mentioned that we had a daughter that was 22 months old, she asked all the details. I told her about our adoption experience and mentioned that Emma was missing some fingers and toes and she immediately began praising me for taking on such a huge responsibility. I hate that. I attempted to explain that we were the ones being blessed by this little girl and that she was quite able to do things for herself and very determined, even at such a young age. I didn't get the opportunity to witness as much as I would have liked, but I did get to talk a little about my favorite topics, adoption and my kids.

Did I ever suspect that we would adopt a special needs child? No. I had plans on adopting a healthy, perfect "China doll" (a name I have come to hate). God had other plans for us. Yes, she is healthy and beautiful, but in the eyes of the world, she is handicapped. We don't see it. We see her. The very determined little girl who loves to play her drums and guitar, hold a granola bar package in her mouth and shake it like a dog, play with her tractor that she carries in her Dora purse, and wakes up every morning with the sweetest smile that could melt Scrooge's heart. She is perfect in God's eyes and in ours as well. So she may not be exactly what I had planned, but she is certainly what God had planned for our family. She is ours, but more importantly, she is His and I thank Him for allowing us to raise her.

So when I reflect back on this year and thank God for all of His blessings, I am not just saying it, I am meaning it. There have been times when that wasn't the case. God brought us our daughter, he let us travel thousands of miles away and brought us home safely. He kept this little girl in His hands while she waited for her forever family. There are so many other little ones and older ones alike right now that need forever families. I wish we could adopt again, but I don't see that happening right now. If God called us to do that and provided the means, we would certainly follow His will. But if you are reading this post and have the slightest inclination that God has plans for you to adopt, then pray about it and pray some more. If it is His will, then you have to follow it. We did and it has been the most amazing year.

Merry Christmas to everyone. I pray that you and yours have a wonderful Christmas and take time to remember the real reason. That night in Bethlehem led to that day on the cross and the ultimate gift. That is what Christmas is all about and is so often overlooked. I am just as guilty of that as everyone else.

And just a side note, that little girl that we got the call about in April, she has been adopted by her forever family and is doing well. They live about an hour away from us and I will get to meet them soon. Is God not absolutely amazing?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If ever God saw a giving family, he did in yours. At my age and health condition, I could not adopt. But, watching all the blogs of the wonderful children adopted I certainly would love to. I also minister when possible about "Adoption" and what a wonderful gift God gives. Thank you for sharing!
God Bless you and the wonderful family.
Merry Christmas to you and tell your Mom she has the best of the best.

Louise

Wife of the Pres. said...

Your words are piercing and so filled with truth.You said it well my friend!

Love you and your family! Can't wait to meet you one of these days. Let's make it a priority for January!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Stacey said...

We also had the hard decision of turning down a referral several months before Ephraim became a part of our family. That little girl is now a part of a wonderful, loving family, and we stay in touch. In some ways, I feel like she's a little bit our daughter too. She has the family that was meant for her now, and we have the son who was meant for us too. What an amazing gift from God for us all!