Tuesday, March 4, 2008

TEENAGERS, NEED I SAY MORE

Okay, so I have spent my day with my dear, precious, sweet son being evaluated by Sylvan Learning to start a study skills/organization class. My dear Brady is so smart. He always has been! His problem is that he has difficulty applying himself. Well, in addition to lots of other methods, this is our latest attempt to get him out of middle school and hopefully teach him how important it is to do your work and even more important - TURN IT IN. The teacher at Sylvan was great. She came down to talk with me after he completed the reading comprehension session and was quick to point out he had no deficiencies. "You're 8th grader scored at a 12th grade, 9 month level - he's very intelligent, he just needs to apply himself". No duh! After I got control of my desire to go beat him, I felt a little better. I know how smart he is, but if he doesn't do the work and turn it in it's hard to convince his teachers how smart he is:) So now we learn to study. In all honesty, they don't teach that in school. There really isn't enough time and everyone learns differently. I hope we find the method that works best for him and that these classes help him. I am getting older by the moment and I can easily lay the blame at his feet! On a lighter note, the Sylvan teacher did comment on what a sweet and polite boy he is! I could have told her that too.

Referrals came yesterday and went through Jan. 4, 2006. Our agency did not receive any. Our next referral batch is Jan. 6, 2006. At least CCAA is finally out of 2005. At the rate they are going, the average wait time has increased to 27-28 months from Log in date (LID) with a steady increase of 1 month each month. (Long time would sum it up!) At this rate, the soonest we are looking at would be very late this year, more likely spring of 2009. Depressing.

I am dying to check on Brian and Melissa, but I have not called. I hope they are doing well. No posts on their blog. Can they possibly be a little too busy:)

I read a devotion over the weekend that really hit home with me. It was on faith and based on 2nd Corinthians 5:7 For we walk by faith, not by sight. The writer states "God's word and His promises are either 100% true or they are not. Since His word is true, your faith is the difference." That has really hit home with me today. Life is so hard. Raising children, dealing with people, finances, waiting on an adoption, etc. I know that I struggle with faith and I also know that I am not the only one. I know Satan must love it when we question or grumble about things. It's an area that I am constantly having to work on and I guess I always will. God's word is true and my faith, or lack thereof, really is the difference. It's days like today that I really am thankful I can pray and ask Him to keep me grounded and show me the way.

No comments: