Thursday, February 26, 2009

Just a Few Things that Really Bug Me

It's that time of year again. If you are a property owner the deadline is looming for your property taxes to be paid. I'm not sure why we always wait to the last minute, but my parents always did and so do we. I have to pay them tomorrow or Saturday or suffer the wrath. I hate paying property taxes. Well, I hate paying taxes in general and I understand the concept behind it all. It just seems blatantly unfair that if you OWN your home and land that you have to pay the county for essentially OWNING it. That rubs me oh so the wrong way. Now that I have vented I will write the big honking check and give it to my county officials to use as they deem necessary. Well we all know how beneficial our tax dollars are. There has never been a better illustration of that than right now in Washington.

I gladly call myself a conservative. I am also a fiscal conservative and to hear the things that are in the STIMULUS PACKAGE just kills me. One of the things proposed in the package that doesn't have earmarks (wink, wink, nod, nod) is a train line from Disneyland to Las Vegas. Now let me assure you that the McGowan house loves Mickey and Minnie but I don't think our tax dollars should have to include a train from sin city to visit. Oh the waste. I keep thinking that there should be a great march on Washington by moms and dads that try to live on a budget and provide for their families the old fashioned way. Of course we would never actually get the chance to meet with those incredibly busy officials. They couldn't possibly find the time to meet with people who have common sense. They are to busy spending our tax dollars. They couldn't possibly pull themselves away from that burden that they bear so well.

Okay, enough of my venting. I'm close to revolting and I had better stop now before my blog gets flagged by some government agency!
Have a good day.

1 comment:

Cydil said...

We're with you, sister! We just got a letter this week from Social Security reassuring us that it will be there when we retire, but that we should only expect to get 78% of every dollar that we contribute. Just let me invest it myself! Sticking it under a mattress would be better than that!