Friday, August 28, 2009

A Year Ago Today.....

It's hard to believe that a year ago today we were on a plane heading to China to meet our daughter. How can it possibly have already been a year?


I had no idea what I was getting into.


I had no way of knowing that a year later I would be watching my daughter dance a very silly dance in front of the glass doors while watching her reflection. I had no idea that her favorite thing to do is give kisses. I had no idea that she would have learned to say "Stop it" when she isn't getting her way! I had no idea that she would love shoes so much, and hats, and shorts, and NO shirt. I had no idea that I would have a daughter who loves to eat beets, asparagus, green peas, applesauce, but would decline cookies. WHO KNEW there was a kid out there like that? I had no idea that I would be witness to such incredible temper tantrums when she is placed in the shopping cart and forced to sit still for a few minutes while others are looking at you like you must be beating her.....


I had no idea that I was going to be so blessed. God chose our family for her and her for us. I had no idea that He was so good at His job.


I've felt very nostalgic over the last few days. It doesn't seem possible that the time could have gone so fast, but it always does. Time has a way of just marching on.


I miss China. When I think back over the time there I wish I could have enjoyed the experience more. It was so stressful at the time and I wasn't able to fully appreciate it all. I do hope to go back some day. It pulls at you. There is something about it that you can't get out of your system.


Above all, I had no idea just how much I could love his girl. I look at her and I think about her life so far and about her life ahead and I just can't imagine our lives without her. She is MY daughter. She is my little girl and it's already passing to quickly.

4 comments:

Erica said...

A post definitely written by a mommy! As I read, tears fell down my cheeks as I want so badly for our time to come but you are right, God is wonderful at His job and He unites the perfect child with the perfect family! I feel like I know Emma personally as I love to read about her adventures, firsts, and just everyday life. She is a blessed little girl and you are a blessed mommy! I look forward to another year of posts!

Jennifer said...

It is wonderful and precious to look how far we've come in these journeys of adoption and family! Such blessing and joy! God is good. Enjoy the trip down memory lane. And it just keeps getting better. :-). Congrats on hitting that wonderful 1 year milestone!

Jennifer

Wife of the Pres. said...

Beautiful post Mayme!!! Congrats on a whole year almost w/ your precious daughter!!! I'm getting all emotional thinking about our upcoming dates too w/ our Li'l Miss!

Hugs to your sweet and precious family who will always hold a really special place in my heart!!!

Maria said...

I think maybe I could just copy this and use it for my one year post, eh? It is so beautiful and tugs at my heart (and eyes, I'll be honest). My favorite line (which I'm certain to borrow!!): I had no idea God was so good at His job. :-) Congrats!!! We had no clue, did we?