Tuesday, September 1, 2009

You've Come A Long Way BABY

A year ago today our daughter was placed in our arms. When I think about the day and all that went along with it, it still amazes me. I was afraid. Afraid of the unknown and the possibly the known. I read back over those few days that I posted on the blog and all the comments that we received and the e-mails from our friends and I can honestly say they helped sustain us. We knew that prayers were being prayed all over the world and we felt them. I was still afraid, but it wasn't as bad.


Emma was so tiny, so sickly, so blank faced when we first got her. It was a day that never leaves my mind and I think what haunts me the most is that there are thousands upon thousands of children just like her WAITING for their family. What if we had not gotten the call for Emma, what if we had said no, what if we had never been called to adopt, what if Emma was still sitting in an orphanage WAITING. I am fairly certain that we will not adopt again, but if you are reading this and have even the fleeting thought about adoption, don't let is pass without really giving it some serious thought and prayer. It is the most blessed thing that you will ever be called to do. I believe that. And if you don't feel called to adopt, then consider donating to some very worthy organizations out there that support adoption and orphans. You might not be able to give a child a home but you can help someone else along the way. It will bless you more than you know. Don't turn away from the reality that there are orphans all over the world and in your own back yard. Don't close your eyes and miss out on a blessing.


I hadn't really planned on writing a lot today and didn't know what I would write. But I believe that GOD knew exactly what He wanted written today.


Our little movie star. She was watching herself on a video and clapping for herself.
Celebrating Gotcha Day with Nanny and Pap.

Celebrating Gotcha with Giggee.

Dig the Hat? She looks like Buster Brown. The hat goes with an adorable outfit from Giggee. Aunt Pam and Giggee love to shop at Janie and Jack!

You can't catch me Aunt Pam!

Getting some love from my Uncle Johnny.

ICE CREAM. Forget the cake!
She wasn't too interested in the cupcakes.

CHEESE.

Gotcha Day Cake.



Giving Mom the eye during lunch.

Is this kid silly or what!
She was really cheesing it yesterday during her lunch so I took advantage.




Laying back in her chair to eat her noodles. I know that Ramen noodles are probably not the most nutritious lunch choice but she LOVES them.
When she wears this hat I can't help but whistle the theme song from Gilligan's Island.




Wearing her hat sideways. She absolutely refuses to turn it the right way. She's a punk.

Do you even recognize this child? This is a picture that Brady took on Gotcha Day after we got to the hotel. It blesses me to think how far our girl has come! Yes indeed, you've come A LONG WAY BABY GIRL. So have we.

To all of the people who traveled with us last year, if you are reading, Happy Gotcha's! We are a blessed group of folks in so many ways.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

God put Emma in your care, because he knew you needed her as much as she needed you. To compare pictures of Gottcha Day and now, what a wonderful glo on a beautiful child. She has so much to give the world and you are the instrument delivering her to the world.
Congratulations on a job well done.

Erica said...

Happy Forever Family/Gotcha Day! Emma has grown so much over the last year! Ashton was looking at the post with me and just said, "Oh look, that baby is naked!" I had to laugh as Emma reminds me so much of my little sister in that she never wanted to wear shirts either. Emma is blessed and so are you...you are wonderful fits for each other - truly a God thing!

Congratulations on 1 year!

Beth T. said...

This post brought tears to my eyes! She is absolutely adorable and I love my cool little sis! :)

Lindsey Carney said...

Okay, I'm a little hormonal right now and you just made me tear up, thanks a lot Mayme ;) She is so beautiful!

Melissa said...

She is so precious! I would say that I can't believe it's already been a year, but it seems like she's always been here.

Lindy said...

Wow, she doesn't even look like the same child. How blessed she is to have a family.

Maria said...

Ah, Mayme. A year. You survived. And look at all the blessings that has come in this year for you and your sweet girl and family. Adoption is such an amazing blessing from God. I'm so happy for you guys!! She is so beautiful and so happy.

Edgar and Barbara said...

Happy Gotcha!! Can you believe just one year ago, we were all in China? What an amazing year it has been!

Emma is just SOOOOO beautiful!! I can't believe how much she has grown...how much she has changed! Unbelievable! Take care and we REALLY hope to see you all soon!!

GOD bless,
The Figueroa's
Edgar, Barbara, Crystina & Ethan

Naomi said...

Oh I remember following you to China to meet Emma!!! It seems like just a few months ago!! She is such a delight and has changed so much.

Happy celebrations this week as you remember each day.

Brenda Lewis said...

Thanks, Mayme, for allowing us to share your "gotcha day" with your blog and pictures. I was thinking of you. God is so good and to know He had this in the plan all along is almost more than we can comprehend. It makes all the praying and waiting worth it all!!

Love you all,

Brenda

Linda said...

Mayme happy Gotcha Day. Those pics were so cute. I can't believe it has been a year already. Ya'll have a sweet little girl. God is good.