Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Not a Fun Morning

Poor Emma had her first blood draw experience this morning and let's just say, it wasn't a positive one. I was very disappointed with the lab tech that was attempting to draw her blood. I managed to keep my cool, but as a nurse, I was ready to blow! She was insistent that I hold Emma in a sitting position and that she hold her arm and draw the blood. Well, let's just say that is not the best position for a little girl who can bend like a pretzel and I had a death grip on her. After the first attempt, the lady did let Dede help hold Emma's arm, but that was a no go as well. She managed to draw the blood, but I suspect it wasn't enough. She needed 4 tubes of blood and only got approximately 1cc in each tube. I can say that if it wasn't enough, we are not going back to that lab to have the blood drawn. I don't claim to be a phlebotomist , but I have stuck many kids and done much better than she did. It was a very frustrating morning and poor Emma screamed, cried, and looked at me with that pitiful look that was asking "Why are you letting her do this to me?" Not fun. Thanks to Dede for going along for the ride:)

Emma is otherwise doing great. She wants to walk so badly. She is very impressed with herself taking very high steps and is convinced she should be able to walk sideways like a crab. Too funny. She also managed to lick a graham cracker cookie yesterday 4 times. After the 4th time she looked at me with such a funny look. It was like "Wait a minute, I'm not supposed to be doing this - you might expect me to actually eat!" I'm going to try her again this afternoon and see if she does it again.

The celebration service on Sunday night was very nice. I had a lot of friends from work there and that meant a lot. (Especially you Brenda:) I wasn't that nervous and just read what I had prepared. Brian did a fabulous job on the video he prepared and I'm pretty sure there wasn't a dry eye in the house.

I went to visit Christian while at Vandy today and he was having a very hard day. His dad, John, said he had a hard night and didn't sleep. He is receiving chemotherapy everyday for 35 days, so there is no time for him to recover from the previous round. Please lift this family up in prayer. They are the most amazing folks and they are having such a hard time right now.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Sorry that it didn't go well with Emma this morning! We must have lucked out with our nurse!

Edgar and Barbara said...

Hi McGowan family,

We are SO happy to hear (or read) that Emma is doing SO well!! We just love looking at her pictures at home and she has blossomed so much! Can't wait to hear all the new things that she has learned. What's funny is...today, our Crystina also had her blood drawn, and she wasn't happy either.

We can't wait to see you all again!

Much love,
The Figueroa's...Edgar, Barbara & Crystina

Dave said...

I know exactly how Emma feels. Coincidentally, I had a blood draw today as well and didn't like it very much either.

Working on final steps with our paperchase for a China adoption. Thanks for the encouraging posts.