Thursday, October 16, 2008

It Was Just a Matter of Time

Okay, so I knew it would happen but I was still caught off guard when it did. As I was checking out today at JCPenny the clerk asks "Is she yours or is she adopted?" I just looked at her and said, "She's mine and yes she's adopted." She became somewhat defensive. I think she just didn't know what to say. Here's a clue, when you don't know what to say then don't say anything.

At the next store the clerk is looking at Emma and going on about how cute she is and then she notices her hands. No big deal, it really doesn't bother me. She says "Oh, how did it happen?" I so desperately wanted to reply "Well, iguanas don't make good pets", but I refrained. She then proceeds to tell me "It doesn't matter, she's still so cute. She must be so special to you." Again, I had a sarcastic reply, but I thought better. I know people don't mean to sound stupid, but let's face it, they do. Enough said.

We have spent the entire day out today starting with an eye appointment for me. As I suspected, the up close, small print thing is getting worse, so we changed my contacts around to see what might happen. Next step, bifocals lenses. Can you say old? (I don't mean any disrespect to bifocal wearers at all.) We then headed to the mall and bought the boys some new jeans and things for school. My guys are getting so big.

Emma held her own all day. She is so tired this evening though. We ate at the food court and I had Chinese. She of course wanted to taste my food and then proceeded to spit it out. She is killing me with this no eating thing! We go back to the doctor on Monday and I am anxious to hear what he recommends.

Gotta run. Just had to vent about my episodes today. Maybe I was just overly sensitive, but it really rubbed me the wrong way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mayme! I have just heard in the past month that you guys went to China to get Emma! I was talking to Kelly Cook on the playground one day when she subbed and she told me you had a blog I could read. She is gorgeous! I am so happy for you guys. Tell Ashton his kindergarten teacher says "Hi"! I will keep you guys in my prayers as you continue on this new and challenging adventure!

Tara Lusby

Melissa said...

You never totally get used to the comments, but they do start to lose their sting a bit! :)

Anonymous said...

Some people have no tact. I know people will be curious and what an opportunity for you to be able to share Christ and strengthen your own patience. You may give someone else a peek into the world of adoption and spur many to bring these precious children into there lives, homes and hearts. Continue on your journey with your sweet spirit and loving heart. You may just spark a fire in someone!!
As always, thinking of you and praying for this time of transition in your lives. P.S. she will eat!! Just keep that mantra going!!