Saturday, June 13, 2009

What a Difference A Year Can Make

A year ago today the call came that we had been waiting on. IT'S A GIRL!


The range of emotions on that day were all over the place. I was excited, scared, overwhelmed, but above all, thankful. I didn't realize how thankful at the time, but after having our daughter home with us for the last 9 months, I do. Everyday she continues to amaze us, amuse us, frustrate us (hey, she's 2), and fill us with pride.


I had no idea when that call came just what was in store for our family of 4. I remember so vividly getting the call after I had worked all night and was attempting to sleep so I could go back to work. When the call came and they gave me the information and told me she was missing digits on all 4 extremities, I was a bit concerned. Who wouldn't be? But above all, I remember asking God to fill me with peace and help me to KNOW His will for our family and her life before I ever saw her face on the computer screen. So I came down the steps and waited on the picture to come and the minute that I saw it, I knew she was the one. Did I have a few doubts along the way, yes. But in my heart I knew I was looking into the face of my daughter for the first time. It's a feeling that is hard to put into words. I knew all of this before I had even had the chance to talk with Bo. It was a CRAZY day.


So a year has passed and we have traveled around the world and and back to bring our little girl home. Everyday is an adventure just like with any child. But when I came home from work this morning I heard her laughing upstairs while she was in bed with Bo. I went up to check on them and she reached for me and then we played for a while and she continued to laugh. Her laugh is adorable and as I watched her and listened to her I knew that a year ago she had very little to laugh about. I have seen the pictures of her in her crib and there is no emotion on that little face. She had no idea that a family in Tennessee was about to become hers and that her life and ours would NEVER be the same.


GOD is good all the time. So if you are waiting on that call, just know that it will come and you will experience joy like you have never known. Our girl was worth the wait and yours will be also.

4 comments:

Erica said...

I remember the day that Bo told Jason about your referral - it's hard to believe it was 1 year ago! Emma is just beautiful and is growing so much. Isn't adoption a wonderful journey - stressful and expensive but SO worth it all!

Erica R.

Edgar and Barbara said...

Happy one year "referral call" anniversary! ; ) Yes, it was the most amazing day...EVER! So many wonderful things can happen in one short year.

Please give Emma a great big hug from us! Can't wait to see you all!!

GOD bless...
Barbara

Jenny said...

What a beautiful family!

Wife of the Pres. said...

Yes, so worth it!!! Can you believe it will soon be a year since we all traveled??? Time does go by. I love your blog and I KNOW you have more than 4 readers LOL!!! I'm sorry to hear about Ernesto. I rather enjoyed hearing you talk about him staring at you through the back door. Creepy kind of but funny from where I sit! :)