Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Beauty Doesn't Come Easy Sometimes

Every mother of a little girl dreams about spending quality "beauty time" with them. Emma loves to put on her makeup while I am and she looks so sweet pretending to put on her eyeshadow and is obviously fascinated that mommy can play in all that stuff and not get in trouble.


As a mother of a little girl with only 3 toes and 2 fingers the thought has crossed my mind several times about some of the things she will miss out on. A wedding ring for example. She doesn't have a ring finger and I have wondered will she wear it on her pinkie or perhaps just wear some type of lovely necklace. Who knows? Flip flops. This girl loves flip flops but let's face it, when you only have 1 toe on a foot it's hard to pull off the flip flop look.



Pedicures and manicures. Every mother daughter team should have the fun of having pedicures and manicures together. Well, Emma FINALLY showed some interest in nail polish yesterday. Now I'm not a big polish girl myself and never paint my fingernails. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to chipped nail polish. I can't stand it and so it's not worth my time or money to worry with my fingernails. I do however like to have a pedicure on occasion. Occasion being the beginning of summer. So yesterday while I was getting ready Emma found the nail polish and handed it to me and put her adorable little foot up for me to paint her nails. Oh how sweet it looked. I sat her down on the toilet and painted her 3 sweet little nails with great pride. This is a big moment for a little girl who only weeks ago freaked out if something was on her nails at all. The cutest thing was when she folded herself completely over and helped me blow her nails dry. Might I just say that it was a proud moment for this momma and I had a tear in my eye. So check out my girl's nails and yes I know her big toe needs a little work still.

HOWEVER, the moment soon ended when momma accidentally knocked the bottle of polish off the counter and onto the tile floor (new tile floor) and let me just say, there ain't no give when it comes to tile. The hot pink polish was everywhere!! What a mess.







Being the quick responder that I am, I did manage to clean some of it up with a towel and then I used the non acetone nail polish remover to get some more off the floor. Bo finally finished cleaning up the mess last night after I showed him his daughter's cute little toes first. I knew when he saw them that it would change the entire scenario. That and the fact that he was high on the fumes from the polish remover.
Yes, beauty does come with a price sometimes.

3 comments:

Maria said...

Oh Mayme!!!! You and I must live parrallel lives!! However, it was ALL worth it for those sweet painted toes. I love it!!

T2Nashville said...

Mayme - this story made me cry! She's growing up so fast and doing so well. Miss you!

Wife of the Pres. said...

Mayme, this post touched my heart. Emma has beautiful hands and feet. As I tell S all the time, God must have thought so much of her to allow her to have such special hands and feet. And He must be overjoyed with you for being such a wonderful Mama to His precious child! Thank you for sharing. I just know you've touched some hearts with this post.

I wish you would share it over at No Hands But Ours. I think a lot of people are scared of this SN, especially if both hands and feet are affected. Someone who read this at NHBO might find just the right perspective from you to know that God is leading them to a child w/ similar hands and/or feet.

No matter what, thanks for sharing here.