Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A Weird Kind of Day

Ever have one of those days?


Today has been a strange day. Ashton had ball camp and Emma had her regular EI visit so Pop took Asthon to camp for me. I had to pick him up at noon and was doing well until I accidentally ran off the road. In my driveway. I admit it, I was not paying attention. I was looking at my mail and suddenly there were leaves at my window. Poor Emma had a look of terror on her face. I stopped the car and got her out, attempted to call Brady who of course wasn't paying attention. I then hauled myself and my 30 pound daughter up my massive drive to get Brady. He and his buddy Corey walked back down the driveway and watched Emma while I attempted to get my SUV out of the ravine. Might I add, to no avail. All the while, Ashton is waiting for me to pick him up 30 minutes away. After making another failed attempt, I called my neighbor. Not home. I called our friend Brian who was tied up but would have come if no other options were available. I then called my brother who was working nearby and he saved the day. He was able to get the car out of the ravine and then I was on the road again. Only 45 minutes late but Ashton is easily swayed with a Venti Mocha Frappuchino (sp).


Okay, so all is well and we return home. Brady heads off with Corey to swim. I manage to get a few things done and I begin dinner prep I am concerned that the pork chops I had laid out of the freezer earlier today smell funny. No not funny, disgusting. Scratch dinner plans and toss meat in trash. I mention this to Ashton who gives me a look. A look that says he knows something about why the pork chops smell like road kill. "I might know why they smell bad mom." REALLY. "I left them sitting on top of the freezer while I was putting away the canned stuff and then I found them later (as in a few days I'm thinking) when I smelled something. I just put them back in the freezer and thought it would be okay." A lesson in the making. I instructed my precious offspring that if you inadvertently leave meat out for several hours or days or perhaps a week.....then don't put it in the freezer and pretend it's okay. That $8 package of pork could have cost us much more. An ER visit, a severe case of food poisoning, a funeral, or a night of pure misery laying in the bathroom floor begging GOD to let me die.


So you see, it was a weird day. There's always tomorrow.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Girl, I was cracking up at those pork chops! That sounds like something a teenager would do :) I hope that you have a better rest of the day!

Linda said...

Sounds like Ashton.

Melissa said...

Sorry your day was so crazy. Hopefully you picked up Starbucks for yourself too - that always makes my day better! :)