Monday, June 22, 2009

Happy Father's Day - The Day After

Emma and Daddy went to Walmart on Saturday morning and Emma came home sporting a new flute. She is enjoying it thoroughly. I might also add she has great talent.




Happy Father's Day to Pap.

Daddy only wanted a nap for Father's Day. He did manage to pull one off, but I suspect it wasn't as long as he had hoped.


Doritos can leave a real mess on a girl's hands. She seems to tolerate it well considering they are here favorite food.





Playing her flute before church.



Another whirlwind week behind us and again I didn't blog very faithfully. What can I say?
Emma survived her first O.T. appointment on Wednesday. It was not for the faint of heart. As I have mentioned before, our speech therapist is the sweetest, most pleasant grandmotherly type lady and we love her. Emma is used to almost getting her way with Miss Jane. However, O.T. was not the same story. Our O.T. is all business. I like her and I think that I will like her way of doing things in time, but the first day was difficult. She immediately put Emma in her chair with a tray over it and began the feeding process. Emma hates to be strapped in and did put up a little fight. The best was yet to come....We worked on various utensils that Emma was able to use and on using her cup and then she began to tire of this little game. She began reaching for me and screaming. After a little while Miss Linda asked me if I was okay and if not she would take a break, but I was fine. I know how Emma can be. Then she decided that she would let Emma out of the seat and give her a break and that she didn't want her to come to me but to sit with her. That's hard because I have had to work on Emma coming to me when she is upset and not reaching for strangers. She did okay staying with Miss Linda for a while but then she wanted momma. She was screaming and reaching for me and they decided to take a walk to the play room area. I literally could see Emma's nose flaring she was so upset. She did calm down when she reached the play room because they had a Radio Flyer tricycle and she loves them. She has played on one at Walmart before and left screaming for it.
Well, she calmed down and finished her lunch and I think she liked Miss Linda a little more after that. We get to repeat that fun again on Wednesday. Miss Linda said it will probably be a repeat but once Emma realizes her boundaries it will get better.
So I'm left wondering which method of therapy is best. I think perhaps a mixture of the two would be the best choice. Emma is VERY strong willed and I suspect that will only get worse. She became upset with me yesterday afternoon and hit me in the nose. She spent a couple of minutes in time out and learned the word SORRY after that little incident.
The weekend was nice. The boys each had friends over Friday night and Saturday morning. We managed to get them back to their own families and went to dinner with Bo's family for Father's Day. Emma began her usual fit when she had to sit in a high chair but I remained strong and she remained in the chair. She wants to get up and move around and I am determined that she isn't. After dinner the boys begged to go to Summer Fest to see their friends and "hang out". We caved and took them. (It's a carnival/festival to kick off summer.) We basically kicked them out of the car because the traffic was so bad and let them walk down to the area. As they were walking off Bo said "our boys are growing up". It kills me. They had a good time and we hung out for a couple of ours doing some errands and getting an ice cream from one of the local restaurants. Emma loves ice cream and enjoyed getting out of her car seat and playing in the back seat and hanging her head out of the window while we waited on the boys. There were fireworks at 9:00 and she was terrified when they began. After a few minutes of watching them while clinging to my neck, she decided they were okay and her face was adorable as she watched them. She was amazed.
Yesterday was spent at church and getting Ashton off to church camp...again.
Bo has worked diligently on our swimming pool since the end of May. It has looked like a swamp and been a source of friction in our house. Bo wants to fill it with catfish and I would prefer we actually get to swim in it. After working all weekend and into the night Saturday night, the pool was clear yesterday. Not as clear as it should be, but clear enough for teenagers to swim in it. Brady had friends over last night for a camp out (tent next to the house) and they enjoyed the rewards of Bo's hard labor. He also had to put up their tent. I say "their tent" because the kids brought it with them. Bo is a fine handy man. He is smart and very capable. This tent kicked his rear. He worked on it for hours and wasn't able to figure it out. Brady, ever the smart child, asked if we had a tent. Why yes son, we actually have 2 of them. Bo goes to the barn, gets one of our tents, puts it up in 15 minutes and I'm sure wonders why he didn't think of that sooner.
So the night has been spent with kids in and out of the house, swimming, playing basketball, eating, hanging out by the fire making smores, and consuming enough Cherry Doctor Pepper and Mountain Dews that if these kids don't have kidney stones I will be surprised. I have been awake since 2:30 when they were in the house making Ramen Noodles and Hot Pockets. Oh the life of teenagers.
So that about wraps up the last few days of my life. Have a great week!

2 comments:

Lindsey Carney said...

Hey Mayme, I'm off this week and have nothing planned until Friday, want to try to get Hudson and Emma together?

Edgar and Barbara said...

LOVE the picture of Emma's Dorito hands!! Too cute! ; )

I think of you all often and hope we can see each other soon!!

Love,
Barbara