Wednesday, April 14, 2010

What's the Deal?

So this week is off to a not so good start as well. I feel a bit like Eyore (spelling?) and that we are under a dark cloud right now. It's not so much our family as it is those around us and then you start wondering if the other shoe is about to drop.


I received a call at 5:30 a.m. Monday morning and a dear, precious lady that has meant so much to my family had passed away during the night. It was totally unexpected. She was 80 years old, but living alone, in relatively good health and so it came as a shock. She had been my babysitter as a child and was like a grandmother to me. She had no children and my brother and I were like her own. She let me do the things that mother wouldn't let me do. She taught me to make fried pies (you have to be from the South to appreciate those:), and she didn't care if I made a mess. She let me go through her closet and play with stuff and wear wigs and she always had a snack for me when I came home from school in the afternoons. We played "The Price is Right" with all of her things and just generally had a good time. Her husband taught me to play Blackjack, Poker, Checkers and let me drive a car when I was about 9 years old. He took me fishing and I can't ever remember getting in trouble at their house. I do remember getting my hand caught in a ringer style washing machine when I was a kid after she had told me to be very careful. They were such special people and I can't believe they are both gone now. The funny thing is that she was about my age (42) when she was babysitting me and I probably thought she was ancient then. My how time changes things.

So today I will attend her funeral. We went to the funeral home last night and Emma kept pointing to her and saying "night, night" and flower. It was really sweet. She loved Emma and was very excited for our family to finally have a girl.


I also got a call Sunday night (prior to this bad news) that a coworkers husband had just been diagnosed with a brain tumor. Totally unexpected, out of the blue. I work in a small hospital ED and we are more like a family than most families. In the last 6 months, we have lost one person to cancer, our former boss has been diagnosed, and now a husband has been diagnosed. It just seems like it keeps getting worse. So please say a prayer for my friend and her husband. We are waiting to hear from her and find out the plan. They feel like the brain tumor is not the primary site and were waiting on the scan results.


I did manage to take some pictures of Ashton and Emma Sunday morning before church. They are bit too bright but I have not had time to edit them. He is a very good big brother and she loves him so much. I would like to describe him as a very good son (and he is) except this morning has been one of those mornings that I feel more like beating him than bragging on him. TEENAGERS. He has been a bit of a grump this morning.


His eyes are so blue that they look like pools. It makes me crazy to think about the girls that are liking those eyes......

No comments: