Monday, April 19, 2010

OH MONO

Monday again. Another incredibly busy weekend and oh by the way, Brady has Mono.


Luckily I think we must only have a mild case or perhaps are on the down hill side of it. He has been dragging lately (nothing new) and had a couple of swollen lymph nodes that indicated something was up. I took him to the doctor Friday afternoon and after several vials of blood were drawn, in addition to some x-rays which had nothing to do with the Mono, his doctor let me know Friday night what the diagnosis was. He has to go back next week and have some more blood work to check his liver enzymes, but hopefully he is okay.


The x-rays were because he constantly complains of back and neck pain and finally he said to me "Mom, you really need to quit brushing this off, my back really hurts." Okay, so I'm not the best mom and perhaps not the best nurse. He's a teenager with back pain. Take a Motrin and get over it. Aren't you glad I'm not your mother? He has the worst posture and has probably bought himself some time with a physical therapist and a device to hold his shoulders back.


I worked both Friday and Saturday nights this weekend and poor Bo had to play single dad. Between running kids to and fro and keeping up with Emma, he was probably glad to go back to work today. He managed to keep it together and get everyone where they needed to be. Not an easy task.


So my plans for today (dare I say it) STAY HOME and CLEAN and play with my girl and do laundry and cook a real dinner and then head to gymnastics tonight. Emma missed last week so she should be happy to be back tonight.


I just finished a very good book. That is probably not the best description for it because it was not an easy read. Still Alice is about a person with early onset Alzheimer's. Very scary to think about and every time that I forget something I wonder about myself.... I know very few families who have not been touched by this horrible disease, mine included. My step father has Alzheimer's and it is so hard to watch someone begin to sink into the pits of this disease. It's even harder to watch the ones who love them and care for them. I highly recommend this book for anyone who has been touched by Alzheimer's. It's an interesting look from the victims point of view.


Quick cute Emma note. Emma has fallen several times lately and her knees look pitiful. She has been keeping a band aid on her right knee and she keeps pointing to it. When I tell her she has a boo boo, she keeps calling it a do do. So when you ask her what is on her knee, she tells you a do do. Pretty cute......

2 comments:

Leah said...

Bummer about mono. I hope he's feeling much better soon.

Melissa said...

Hope no one else catches it!