Thursday, March 31, 2011

Life - A Funny Thing

I believe "Life, a Funny Thing" is a quote from Leon Spinks. Either that or I am making that up. I want to believe that I have great faith. I know there is a GOD and believe that He is in control of all things and He has a purpose for all things. I know this in my head. This is a week that I am having a hard time with it in my heart. There, I said it. I am human and I am confused. My friend Melissa was diagnosed with Stage 3 ovarian cancer yesterday. Is she any different than anyone else? No, not really. She is my friend, she is a Christian, she is a mother, she is a wife, she is a daughter, she is a sister, she is a daughter in law, she is a woman. So no, I guess that she really isn't different than any other women who face this. She just happens to be the person that I know that has it and therefore it has become more real. I can't help but think that life just goes along and then one day your are faced with a tragic situation. A disease, a death, a life altering moment that changes you forever. I have been blessed that I have not faced that many things in my life. The sudden death of my father has been the most difficult thing I have faced. But when you see your friend, (10 years younger than me) who is such a good person suddenly faced with this it humbles you and makes you realize that is could just as easily be me or you for that matter. There are no guarantees. Like Leon said "life, a funny thing." So over the last few days I have questioned myself. It's the classic why do bad things happen to good people scenario. I don't understand and I am not sure that I ever will. But I have to believe that good will come from this and that people will be touched. I have to believe that Melissa will be healed and that her faith will affect others. It has me. Do I still question why this is happening? You bet. Do I still think it is totally unfair? You bet. But life isn't fair and bad things do happen to good people. But God is good. He has a plan and He will be glorified by this. I have to believe that because I don't want to believe anything else. I just need my head to tell my heart and let's all get on board. When you pray, please lift Melissa and her family up in your prayers. They are great people and are going through so much right now. I know they would appreciate your prayers.

7 comments:

Linda said...

I couldn't have said that better. Life kicked me in the butt 19 years ago when Jeff got killed. Like you said we don't understand maybe one day we will and then again one day we probably won't even care but again we are human and wonder things here in this world. Melissa is a strong woman and I have faith she will win the fight. We just have to pray hard girl.

Sarah said...

We are sending our love & prayers to both you and your friend, honey... As you probably know, I struggle with this. I am a faithful follower of God, but sometimes I want to say "Really!? What gives!? Why does MY eleven year old child have to have cancer, not once, but freaking TWICE!?" It's hard. But I have nothing, if not my faith... And so I just keep praying...

Lots of love to you tonight,
Sarah
TheWeatheredWord.blogspot.com

Louise S. Lewis said...

You said it for all of us, Mamye. If we did not have "God" how would we cope with everyday living. Brian and Melissa have touched people they do not know, me for one. We pray for healing of this loved one. Appreciate any information on Melissa available.

Anonymous said...

Becky has posted on her blog, Darby Doo's. It sounds like Melissa is being her wonderful Christian self. We ask God to lay healing hands on her.

Brenda Lewis said...

Thank you, Mayme, for your thoughts of what many of us are thinking. When it comes down to it, God sometimes puts us in a place when we have no one to turn to but Him. We can't fix it ourselves. It is definitely a teaching and learning time and a time of growth in our faith. The Lord has given Brian and Melissa a special grace. Their faith is strong and their spirits are up. Praise the Lord for His presence, reassurance, and loving care. We know He is in the midst of it all. Romans 8:28

Brenda Shearon said...

You put into words exactly how I have been feeling. I just think about her and her family almost constantly throughout my day. Wednesday night Bro. Bob told the bible lesson of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. We can say we have faith, but it is when we are tested that we live by faith. No one prays for testings but this is what makes our faith grow. As you said, God is good. Let's just pray and be there for them. I just don't see how people go through things like this without God, church family, family, and friends.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you Mayme. Hard to understand....I know it's God's plan. I know I need to pray and have faith. I know he can cure her. But I still have to say it....it just STINKS!!(i feel a little better now) Angel