Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Let's Go To The Doctor..

I am not complaining because I am so thankful for doctors and hospitals and insurance....but I am so over spending the last 2 days going to doctor's offices. Emma had her 4 year old check up yesterday, albeit a little late. She did great until they had to prick her finger for blood and until Dr. H looked in her ears. It all went south then. I want to say that we have the best pediatrician that you could ask for. He has a gift of kindness and his love for all things international adoption is such a benefit to us. Needless to say, Emma is an interesting case and he is always mesmerized by her. The funniest thing he asked yesterday was "What are you doing about shoes?" I politely told him that shoes are a pain in the rear and he agreed. Tennis shoes and boots, no problems. Sandals and church shoes...problem. It's trial and error. When we find a shoe that works, we stock up. His biggest concern is Emma's speech delay and he agreed that we are doing just about everything we can to address that. After asking how many doctors are involved in her care, 5 total, he just wanted to know how he could help me personally. I just thought that was a sweet question to ask and I know that he really means it. Now he didn't offer to babysit or anything, so I'm not saying he is perfect, but he is a great guy. Emma was 36 pounds and 40 3/4" tall. Luckily she didn't require any shots, only a little blood work. Everything looked okay and we addressed this whole pooping problem. He reassured me that she is normal and to introduce a little Miralax into her routine and help her to understand that she has to poop in the bathroom even if she has on her diaper. That will be a hit. Today we had our FOURTH hearing exam and it was finally determined that indeed she does need to have a sedative ABR and that was scheduled. OH JOY. She actually did well during the first part of her exam but when the Audiologist broke out the otoscope things quickly turned ugly. We finally finished up with that portion and then had to head over to the surgery center to have a quick "physical"....right....and get our arrangements made. Unfortunately they couldn't get her scheduled until May. So that is our next big hurdle and I'm sure that it will go well. Luckily nothing was said about having to have any lab work done and I was very happy about that. I had already decided to decline it because it's not necessary. I was glad we didn't have to cross that bridge. The most annoying part of our appointment this morning was the continuous text messages that I was receiving from Ashton who wanted me to bring him lunch today because they were only serving sack lunches today due to ACT testing. This kid is so annoying and only thinks about food and girls. So while I was holding my sweet screaming girl my not so sweet boy was in constant text mode. Granted, I was 45 minutes away from him and somehow he just thought I could magically make his lunch request appear. My desire to strangle him had never been stronger...... The highlight of Emma's day was "riding da bus please". She was watching the shuttle outside of the window and was thrilled when we got to ride it from one facility to another. She is crazy about buses and thought she was such a big girl when she got to ride one today. The driver played the Caddyshack song while we were on there and Emma was wide eyed and so excited.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I am thankful that you have a plan now for sweet Emma. Sometimes not knowing what is going on is the hardest part...

Big hugs sent from my heart to yours!

Sarah
TheWeatheredWord.blogspot.com