Wednesday, February 23, 2011

What We've Been Up To

First of all, yes Emma had her ear appointment last week. UNSUCCESSFUL. Our first attempt was just a regular hearing exam but she wouldn't cooperate and the audiologist determined that maybe we should have a different type of exam that was offered at another office. Sooooooo, we left there and had lunch at the park until our next appointment. This test required that Emma sit still for approximately 10 minutes with foam ear plug type things in her ears while connected to the machine that recorded her response to sound waves (something like that). This too didn't go so well and the results that we got were not good. If in fact it was accurate, Emma is certainly not hearing like she should. HELLO...that's what I have been saying all along. So now we are waiting to hear from yet another hospital and we are going to have a sedated ABR test. As much as I don't like having my girl sedated, if we can get to the bottom of this, I am all in. I will keep you posted.



Might I add, that after surviving that day, I found myself driving the wrong way on a one way street and luckily was not stopped by a cop or hit head on. It was a very stressful day and the irony of being headed in the wrong direction was not lost on me.




What else is happening around here:

  • Emma has started calling Bo....Bo. She yells his name all the time and he keeps saying "it's daddy to you". Pretty funny.
  • Emma got a kindness award last week at school for getting a Kleenex and offering to wipe her friend's nose while on the playground. Luckily the teacher intervened and did the actual wiping.
  • Emma ate sour cream straight from the bowl last night. Not only does she love butter, she now has discovered sour cream.
  • Her new favorite thing to watch is Tom and Jerry. Classic.
  • I was yelling for Ashton to come to dinner last night and she proceeded to stand at the top of the stairs and yell "Now Boy"
  • We continue to struggle with pooping. She will not go on the potty. While I was rocking her last night she was a total gas bag and when I suggested we go on the potty she quickly told me "No". We normally have a routine of reading, rocking, getting into bed and dancing, kissing and giving fives. She wanted nothing to do with that last night and was anxious to get in bed and told me "goodnight" and wanted me to leave so she could do her business in private. When I returned to change her diaper, she was peeking over the railing of her bed and grinning at me to let me know she was done and needed to be cleaned up. I refuse to worry with it right now and will wait until Summer to really pressure her into using the potty. She has some type of hang up and I don't want to make it worse.
  • I have found a way to get Ashton out of the house and to the bus stop on time! I am letting him drive to the bus stop and he thinks he is all that and a pack of crackers. Why didn't I think of that sooner.
  • Basketball in over and tennis has started.
  • Brady informed me that he thinks we should adopt again. He wasn't really sure why, but he just thought we should. Of course he presented this suggestion on a day that mothering was not my favorite thing to be doing and he had found himself grounded and I had found myself checking one way flight plans to parts unknown. I explained to him that I would take his suggestion under advisement but it wasn't about to happen. These sweet little ones grow up to become teenagers and cause parents to ponder the reasons why some animals eat their young.

So that about wraps it up. Have a great day!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness! I just hate to laugh at your struggle, but parts of this post were so cute & funny---I just couldn't help myself!

When Cole was little, he would eat ketchup. Just ketchup. Only ketchup. With a spoon. From a bowl. Oddly enough, now that he's older he won't put ketchup on anything----even french fries. I guess it wore out his welcome. He also LOVED green beans when he was little. There was an occassion when he was 4. I was working in my office and he waddled in and said, "Mommy, I'm hungry." I told him to give me ten minutes and I'd fix him whatever he wanted. He nodded and walked back out to the living room----I thought. But sweet Colton had decided he wasn't waiting. He went into my pantry, opened the double doors, & found a can of green beans. He then went into the kitchen drawer, grabbed the can opener and a fork, and had himself a snack.... When I found him he was sitting on the kitchen floor between the open pantry doors, fork in hand, beans in mouth, with juice RUNNING down his shirt and onto the floor. (I'm lucky he didn't cut himself on the sharp edge of the can!) I had never laughed so hard. He just gave me this big toothy smile, green with vegetables, and I melted... We talked and he never again tried to do something like that, but it was kind of cute...

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the pooping... I trained little man by literally taking his clothes off and making him run naked. He figured out the potty pretty quickly... I'm not sure it necessarily works in your situation--- but it worked. And it was, again, funny. :)

Anyway, BIG HUGS & good luck! Chin up! Have a great day!

Sarah
TheWeatheredWord.blogspot.com

Brenda Lewis said...

Oh, Mayme.....It is so easy to forget those days when the kids are grown. Thanks, for reminding me of what I'm missing! LOL! Sorry, I do hope better days are ahead. Believe me, if you didn't have some of these documented, you would tend to forget them but oh, the memories and laughs they will bring later!