Monday, November 8, 2010

My Constant Struggle

There are days that I don't think about it much and then there are the other days. The days that I can't stop thinking about it and wondering what if....




Are we supposed to adopt again or not?



There, it's out there. I've said it. The thought is one that I constantly battle with. I don't need anyone to tell me what to do or what they think we should do, especially if you have not experienced adoption. I'm not saying that to be mean, I'm just telling you that until you have experienced it, you will not understand.



I have a picture of Emma that I have never shared on this blog, nor would. it. Suffice it to say, it''s the picture that I look at on occasion and think "what if". What if we had not adopted her? She is so sad looking in that picture that it breaks my heart to look at it. But the sad reality is there are MILLIONS of Emma's out there (and boys too) that are in that same situation. They sit and they wait for a FAMILY. Something that most of us take for granted. Everyday children age out of the programs. They will NEVER have a family. A mom or dad or grandparents to love them and comfort them and support them. That reality tears at my heart and if I would let it, and maybe I should, I would never be able to close my eyes at night and sleep while children around this world wait on a family.



So there it is. My struggle. It's mine alone because in all honesty Bo would jump on board in a split second. But I am also a realist. I know how hard it is to take care of my kids, work, keep a home, be a wife, take Emma to numerous appointments to help her with her development, etc. I also know what my bank account looks like and right now there is very little wiggle room. Teenagers are expensive. Car insurance, gas, clothes, FOOD, school, FOOD, etc. I also realize how little time I have. No, I don't work full time outside of the home. I do work part time and am thankful for that. Some weeks are more "part time" than others and I am thankful for that as well. But I have so little time it seems. Between school, appointments, extracurricular activities that the guys are involved in, and life in general I feel like most days I don't give anyone enough. That includes myself and that is certainly not my biggest concern.




I'm 43. Bo is 45. No, that's not old and a lot of people adopt at that age, but I'm tired. Bo has been complaining that I have been snoring a lot at night (the pot calling the kettle black). HELLO, I'm tired. I can't help it if I snore. It's a wonder that I don't fall asleep sitting here while I type. What's the deal? I used to have more energy than I knew what to do with. I'm really sorry I wasted it when I was younger:)




I have a son who will (fingers crossed) graduate in another 1 1/2 years. He will then head off to college (I hope) and then I will have another right behind him. Emma will just be in kindergarten and what an exciting time for her. I remember how fast those days go! The selfish part of me is looking forward to seeing my sons leave the nest and start lives of their own. The selfish part of me wants to take that road trip that Bo and I have always talked about and see the country. The selfish part of me can't wait for that Alaskan cruise that we have planned for our 25th anniversary. The one that my change jar is collecting for! So yes, I'm selfish in those ways.




The other part of me keeps thinking about how much I love my girl and how it has completely changed our lives in so many ways. Adoption opened my eyes in so many ways and I am thankful that GOD allowed me the opportunity to experience it. It's a privilege. It's not for everyone and I realize that, but it was for us. However, I'm not sure that it's for us again. If GOD has it in our plans, I don't want to turn my back and say this is not a convenient time Lord. I want to do exactly what He would have us do, but the problem is that I don't know for sure what that is. Maybe I'm not praying about it enough or maybe I'm not allowing God to really speak to me. All of those things may be true.




The other very selfish part of the equation is the PAPERWORK and the WAITING. I don't think that I can stand it again. I'm just being honest. I know my limitations and I don't think that my nerves could stand it again. And then I get an e-mail from Rainbow Kids and realize how selfish I am being when I get a waiting child update and I wonder if that child is supposed to be ours. So what is a "little" paperwork.




So I struggle. Is it a faith issue? Perhaps. I had great faith that God would provide for us during Emma's adoption, and He always did. I know that He will do the same again. But I think that God wants me to search my heart and find my purpose. Is it to help others with their decision to adopt? Is it to give to worthy organizations that are taking care of orphans? Is it to eventually get to travel and be involved in medical mission trips? Or is it to adopt again? I don't have the answer for that last question.




My friend Leslie had a line on her blog post over the weekend that has resonated in my head. Someone had commented that "You will never regret having more children, but you may regret not having more." Okay, so those words have really been hitting home with me.



I don't know what the answer is for our family. I will continue to struggle with it I'm sure.

8 comments:

Leah said...

I won't give you advice, because as you said, only you can make this decision. I just wanted to say that I wish you a lot of peace and comfort as you ponder adding to your family.

Lindsey Carney said...

Mayme, I'll be praying for you on this. It's something I'm already praying about for us as well. Gray areas are so hard, it's much easier when things are black and white! The boat I'm in says I can't wait to start another adoption and then on the other hand, how would we be able to do this financially and we need a bigger house, etc. but thanks for reminding me God provides, He provided every penny for Hudson's adoption, and has provided for us this year with the pregnancy and me being self employed and not working. I needed that reminder :)

Amy said...

Thanks for being so honest, Mayme. I'm praying that the Lord will give you the wisdom you need and that He will make His will very clear to you!

Melissa said...

I wondered if Leslie's comment was the catalyst for this. All I know is we're totally in. Obviously, not now since we're following God to Texas, but we're in if it's ever possible.

Naomi said...

Finding myself asking these very same things!! I know I don't comment very often but I just HAD to this time!!

I will certainly be praying for you!

I know this much..... God is NOT going to let you miss His will when you are seeking Him with all your heart! If it is 'Meant to Be' (SCC new song) then God will guide you right to the path He wants you to take!!!

Erica said...

Mayme,

I about choked when I started reading your blog as I thought you were going to be discussing how Emma still doesn't like clothes or something like that and not about adopting again. I feel the EXACT same way as you and Jason feels the same way as Bo. Maura's medical bills have about killed us over this last year but God has always provided - it might be the 11th hour, but He provides.

Before I went to your blog tonight, I was actually on our adoption agency's website looking at how much the adoption programs have increased in cost in a year! Jason doesn't know that I'm even remotely considering another adoption because I have been adamant that we aren't doing this again EVER. After a 3 year struggle, I just don't know if I can do it again but even more so, how we would pay for it and then pay for childcare when we finally got him/her home. I know I overthink things and sometimes don't want to just walk in faith but I want to be smart about this too. Also, I may be selfish but I have had to give up my career twice during this adoption process and I went to school for 9 years to get where I am and now I am starting over for the 3rd time. I really struggled the 10 months that I was a stay-at-home mom - honestly, I was miserable because I couldn't go anywhere and was totally isolated due to Maura's health conditions. I just don't know if I can handle it again but then I feel this tugging at my heart and it only seems to be getting stronger. I haven't shared this with Jason yet as I am still trying to sort through my emotions and truly seek God's guidance through prayer and scripture. I will pray for you, and will you please pray for me?

Maria said...

WOW!! I understand every.single.word you wrote. I sometimes wonder ... but honestly, in my heart, I feel that we are done -- for a lot of the reasons you mentioned: age, energy, finances. I wonder how I will feel when my boy is gone and Ellie is an "only child"? But, I think my heart will always be tied to adoption and helping others complete theirs, helping financially with that when we can, doing special projects for the orphans in other countries, maybe (I hope!) a mission trip in a few years. I pray that you can find the answers you seek and that God will be clear in His path for you!

Sarah said...

Mayme,
My husband and I have been talking a lot about this lately. Everything in me badly wants to get on that waiting list and adopt, however we have the same fundamental questions about our emotional and physical availability. Time will tell... In the mean time, I will be praying for you- and me too. :)
Sarah
theweatheredword.blogspot.com