Monday, January 18, 2010

This Ain't No Happy Child

Yes, in the words of Woody (or was it Buzz?), that ain't no happy child. I am referring to my precious little girl who had to endure a very hard morning that involved a plastic baggy being attached to her privates and 3 needle sticks. I bet you are thinking your day hasn't been so bad after all.


Emma is constantly thirsty and in turn, constantly peeing. She had a glucose checked a couple of weeks ago that was okay and now her doctor wants to rule out Diabetes Insipidus which is nothing like Diabetes Mellitus. So the testing for that involves a urine specimen and when you are not potty trained, that is not easy. After collecting the urine he was still not completely satisfied and wanted to do further testing, hence the needle sticks. Did I mention 3 times? Poor kid. I have stuck kids and adults for years and I have to say that I have never in my almost 2o year career had a stronger, more determined patient than our daughter was. I was literally laying on top of her and holding her down while the 2 nurses were attempting to stick her and I could hardly hold her down. She is so strong and so strong willed. I really felt bad for the nurses and I know they hated that she had to be stuck that many times. They were really trying hard. By the third time I was almost to the point of telling them to hold her and let me stick her. I know that would have been terrible, but I knew exactly which vein they should use and when they finally used it the third time, they got it. It's hard when you are a nurse and a mother and I never want to make another professional feel like I'm trying to tell them how to do their job. Believe me, it never makes that person happy. So I try to be patient and quiet and for anyone who knows me, those are not exactly my strong points. But finally, the blood was drawn, my daughter was pitiful, I was vomited on, Emma had to change pants due to a messy urine sample, and that was our morning. Sounds fun doesn't it?


We should have her results in a couple of days and I'm sure that everything will be fine. The really hard part of all of the testing that she has to endure is not having any biological history. A missing link indeed and one that makes it a bit more difficult for the doctors as well as her.


Well, my little pumpkin is taking a nap and I should be cleaning. I am literally exhausted after fighting my little tiger this morning. All of her torture was soon forgotten with the help of french fries and an orange drink, and she seemed to be happy again:

1 comment:

Lindsey Carney said...

Mayme, I'm so sorry, that sounds awful. Poor Emma. I hope both of yours day is better.