Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I Know, Let's Torture the Child

Okay, so the Doctor's office called yesterday to say they needed another urine specimen from Emma and that is where our story begins.....


Easier said than done.


The specimen had to be a first morning urine and she was not allowed to drink prior. It just keeps getting better.


We have been working (I use that word lightly) on potty training. Emma has no real concept of what's going on. She likes to sit on the potty and tell me good job while I potty, but she has not mastered doing it herself. She was however very quick to recognize the urine collection bag that I had to put on her this morning and short of calling in the National Guard there was no way I was going to be able to do it by myself. She was kicking and screaming and I can't say that I blame her. We decided to give the potty a try. It was fun for the first HOUR while we read and talked and sang every song that I could think of. The second hour was spent downstairs with Miss Jennifer (her EI teacher) and Miss Susan (P.T.) while Emma sat on the potty and played. Still no urine. So they leave and we continue to sit on the potty and attempt and when she would jump up to run off I would remind her that I was going to put the bag on her and she would return. This little cat and mouse continued for another hour when finally we were both about to go crazy and she was crying and her bladder was distended and she was dribbling urine down her legs and it was making her crazy (ME TOO). She finally had a melt down while sitting on the potty and while I hugged her and tried to console her and not feel like a rotten, horrible, awful mom, she did it. She PEEEEED! It totally freaked her out. She jumped up crying and screaming and I held her while she continued to pee down my legs and hers. Well, isn't that a warm and fuzzy kind of morning to spend with your daughter. I suspect that I have set her back another 6 months on attempting to potty train and if this morning was any indication, I don't care. She can wear diapers until she goes to school. I do not want to go through that again.


So, they have their urine and they had better not ask for another one!


This is Miss Susan, our wonderful Physical Therapist who had her last visit with Emma today. She has been so much help, including taking the urine specimen to the doctor's office for me today so I didn't have to make a trip to Nashville.

Emma was talking on the phone to Nanny while sitting on the potty and listening to Nanny attempt to bribe her with all sorts of goodies if only she would pee.



2 comments:

Maria said...

That sounds HORRIBLE -- really, three HOURS??? I wouldn't have made it. One of us would have needed a sedative and I'm guessing it would have been me.

Anonymous said...

ttalgHi! My name is Carol and we are currently adopting a little girl from XuZhou in Nanjing. She has limb difference and both her hands and feet are affected. Could you email me so I can ask you some questions about your daughter and things that you may have done to help her in daily life. My daughters hands look very similar to your daughters hands.

God Bless, Carol oakes1199@yahoo.com