Thursday, December 3, 2009

What Was I Thinking?

I'm seeing a trend in my ability to update my blog. It's on my list of things to do everyday but for some reason (32 pounds, 3 feet tall, cute as a button) I can't seem to get it done. By the time the evening rolls around I'm exhausted and can't make complete sentences.


We had a great Thanksgiving with lots of yummy food at Aunt Pam's house. She even made sweet potato casserole especially for me and it was great. When you mix nuts, coconut, butter, and brown sugar together, what's not to like?



We managed to get the Christmas trees up over the weekend. Emma helped. She hasn't really shown much interest in the tree which is a good thing. I'm hoping that they manage to remain intact until Christmas.


I did do a little black Friday shopping and was pleased with my outcome. I had my eye on the Disney Musical Vanity that Target had on sale that morning. I am pretty sure that I snagged the last one and I found it sitting alone in the housewares aisle. I'm sure someone just sat it down there and in all fairness I did look around to see if it belonged to someone. That someone turned out to be me. I then stood in line for approximately an hour and waited to check out. Target had several things strategically located in that line and I managed to grab a few other good deals. I made a quick trip to Walmart for the Fisher Price Barbie Jeep, but alas there were none to be had. They had plenty of the Hot Wheels Jeep for the same price so our girl is going to be styling in her boy jeep. She will not care as long as she can drive it.



Flash forward to yesterday and that is where I got the title for today's post. Yesterday she and I headed to our therapy appointment as well as several errands. Those errands included some much needed grocery shopping after our speech appointment. Much needed in that we were out of milk, bread, grapes, bananas, and most importantly half/half. Now I don't want my kids to go without the staples of life, but really it's all about me. If I don't have 2-3 cups of coffee in the morning with some half/half then mommy the great becomes Mommy Dearest and it ain't pretty. Emma was in a good mood and we headed to Kroger with list and coupons in hand. Apparently there is a shortage of the precious car carts at our local Kroger and as we went in I saw another mom taking the last one. She was pretty skinny and I probably could have taken her, but what kind of example is that for my daughter. Well, I decided that it would be the perfect day for Emma to push her own little cart. She was so excited and off we went. We headed to the produce aisle and got our fruit and Emma managed to run over my ankles a couple of times. She thought that was hysterical, but overall was doing a good job steering her little cart around the store and looking adorable doing it. Oh, wait a minute. Did I mention that the first Wednesday of every month is Senior Citizens day at Kroger? Well, doesn't that make the story more intriguing? Emma refuses to look up while driving her cart and only wants to look at her feet. That can prove to be very dangerous for elderly folks who are in her way. We did manage to avoid breaking any hips and things were actually going rather well until Emma spotted the strategically placed sucker bouquets located at the end of the aisle and that's when it all went south. Suddenly my little helper turned in to my little demon child and was determined that those suckers had found a new home and that was in her arms. I managed to convince her to put them in her little cart and eventually we made it to the check out lane after navigating through lots of blue haired ladies. Emma was then determined that she didn't need to stand by mom and off she went. I finally rounded her back up while attempting to locate my missing Kroger card. Have no clue where it is! Well, finally we had finished. Oh, I also failed to mention that yesterday was a very rainy day in our area. Emma loved her rain coat until it was time to actually put it back on and head out of the store. She was determined that she as not going to wear it while pushing her little cart with the one little bag of suckers in it. I was determined that she was and the screaming began (her, not me - I was silently cursing the rain, the suckers, the world). I finally decided that I had had enough and grabbed my sweet little angel and her suckers and out we went with her screaming and me fearing that I might be stopped by a cop any minute. Yes, officer, she is my daughter! So the moral to the story is, shop at midnight when there are no blue hairs, there are no sucker deprived 2 year olds, and you have the place to yourself! Oh, and I'm contacting Kroger's corporate office to see why they can't provide more than one car cart!



For some reason, Emma decided that eating off of the floor was a good idea Sunday afternoon. I found her eating her left over turkey and happy as she could be.

Helping with the Christmas decorating.

This child loves her Blues Clues costume.

1 comment:

Maria said...

Ok. Do you not REMEMBER me posting a while back about how one is to NEVER, NEVER, NEVER go to Kroger on Wednesday? Mentally put that in your head. Actually, it will probably always be there now. Never again will I do that. And with a child - ugh, no. I feel for you. I'm so glad you didn't get stopped by the police!! Hope Emma's not reading yet -- you posted her Christmas presents on the BLOG!! :-)