Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Season of Thanksgiving

I have spent some time over the last few days thinking about this particular holiday. I think that Thanksgiving has gotten a bad deal. It seems like we go straight from Halloween to Christmas and Thanksgiving just gets overlooked. The radio stations are already playing Christmas music and I just refuse to listen to it until after Thanksgiving. I also will NOT shop on Thanksgiving day. I don't think there should be any retailers that are open on Thanksgiving. It's not fair for the employees and I refuse to be a patron of any of those stores. As a nurse, I have no choice in the matter when I have to work holidays, but I think retailers need to rethink their policies. Okay, off of my soapbox. I just don't think that Thanksgiving gets the respect that it deserves.



I know that we are all so thankful for many of the same things. When I think of all of the things that I could talk about I of course think about my wonderful family. I think about my 3 great kids. Yes, they can be a real pain at times. Even that cute little girl of mine:) When I have watched The Wiggles 10 times in a day it can get old. And those boys of mine. When I have to pick up their stinky socks and underwear and clean their stinky toilets and ask them for the hundredth time to please do this and that (fill in the blank), it does get old. But the reality of it all is that God has blessed me with 3 kids. Not just 3 kids, THESE 3 kids and they are 3 of the greatest kids ever. Yes, I tire of picking up clothes and cleaning toilets, etc, but that just means that my kids have clothes to wear and a house that has a toilet (4 to be exact) and a mom that has the privilege of being home with my children and taking care of them. Granted, if I never had to scrub another toilet I wouldn't complain:)



When I think about how many people in this country alone that don't have enough to eat or clothes on their back, or the ability to take care of their kids in the way that I know they would like too, it's humbling to think that could be any one of us. You never know. But by the Grace of God.........



My kids are healthy. After watching our friends over the last year watch their son suffer with cancer, it makes you realize more just how incredibly thankful you should be for everyday that you are blessed with good health. Tomorrow will be a hard day for so many parents and children as well who have lost their family members. I know that I don't thank God enough for how he has blessed my family. I suspect that I am not alone.



I'm thankful for a husband who works hard to provide for our family. I'm thankful that my kids have a father that loves God and his family and sacrifices many things to take care of us. Another blessing that I know I often take for granted.



I'm thankful for my precious mother. She is not only my mother, but she has become my dearest friend over the last few years. Funny how that can happen. I'm also thankful for my in-laws. They are such good people and have always treated me like one of their own. They are wonderful grandparents to my children and my children are so blessed to have that. My kids are lucky to have 4 grandparents that love them and are Christian examples.



There are so many things that I could post. Friends, job, country, etc. The list goes on and on. But I will conclude with thanking God for salvation above all and thanking Him that I was born in America and given the chance to grow up in a wonderful family. I also thank HIM for allowing us the wonderful privilege of adopting our daughter. She has changed our lives in so many ways. She is so special and I am so blessed.



Happy Thanksgiving.


Getting closer to the dreaded Bear Cat.

"I Got You Babe"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen!! Couldn't have been said better! We are also thankful for you and to see how the Lord has blessed your family.

Love,

Mrs. Brenda