Wednesday, August 1, 2012

I feel like I am in a very weird place right now. I have a child about to head off to college and one about to start Kindergarten. Throw in a Junior and that is my life right now. I'm not a big cry baby most of the time, but I feel it building and I suspect the next month is going to involve a lot of tissues. Beware.



Emma is officially registered for Kindergarten. We are hoping for a certain teacher that we have been told would be perfect for Emma. I am very torn about sending her to public school because right now our county is in some kind of "mine is bigger than yours" contest and the ones that are suffering are the kids. The teachers and staff are suffering as well and as a parent it makes me furious. There are some great teachers in our schools and then there are some really lousy ones as well. The school board needs a total overhaul and the latest "appointments" to the administrative staff - which don't even live in our county - have a lot to prove. I hope they can but I am very skeptical of that. So meanwhile, all over the United States, kids are not getting the education they deserve and that we as taxpayers are paying for.



I had a rather strange thing happen yesterday and I can't stop thinking about it. It was one of those moments that you don't expect to happen.

Emma and I headed out to the post office and local market yesterday morning, she dressed in basketball shorts/top, a red superhero cape and her batman mask. I was dressed very boring, running shorts/top.....Anyway....We made our first stop and then headed in to the store. She was pushing the cart down the aisles and enjoying being in control..as usual. As we headed down one of the aisles, a man who was obviously working for a soda company spoke to us and asked Emma if she was a superhero. I commented yes and we moved on. Not another thought given to that. We continued to shop and eventually finished up, leaving the market with a new knife, sword, hand grenade, badge, gun, and a swim mask...hey, every superhero needs an arsenal.. As we were about to put things in the car this same guy came up behind us ..not in a creepy way, and said hello and asked me "Excuse, me, but are you a Christian person?" I responded yes and then he proceeded to tell me that since he spoke to us in the store that he just felt God calling him to pray with us and that he had been waiting in the parking lot so that he could speak to us. He was quick to point out that he doesn't do that on a regular basis but that he couldn't get Emma out of his mind since seeing her (and I suspect her hands) in the store. So in the parking lot, over a shopping cart, we prayed. He cried during the whole thing and I was moved by his openness and that he didn't hide his faith. I could just have easily said that I wasn't a Christian and he needed to leave me alone. I think the only problem that I had was that he was most concerned about Emma's physical differences. After he finished praying I was quick to point out to him that nothing slows this girl down. She is indeed a SUPERHERO. I also pointed out what an amazing blessing she is to everyone she meets and how she has touched out family. He said that he and his wife had talked about adoption and I was able to share some of our story with him and even gave him the name of our agency. So, maybe in some way, that moment will help him and his wife to make a decision about adoption and see that even though my girl may only have 2 fingers, she is as whole as they come.

What do you think? Would you or have you ever done anything like that? I have not. It's just not me. I have seen people that I have in turn prayed for silently in situations similar to that, but I have never had the boldness to do anything like that. I was very impressed by him. True Christianity. Isn't that what the world needs more of.



So today, we are putting the housework, the laundry, and everything else on hold and about to go swimming and hang out by the pool at my friends house. Emma can't wait and I am looking forward to adult conversation and downtime.


One more quick note, mostly for me so that I can remember some of these things...Emma's new favorite line is "AHH, momma, you Funny". She uses this line when she is in trouble or thinks she is about to be. Oh, this girl of mine!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hope Emma had a great day on her first day of Kindergarten.