Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I Don't Do Sick Well

I am pretty sure that I have TB, or Pneumonia (not the rockin kind), or Whooping Cough or SARS or H1N1 or the Bubonic Plague, or worse.......This cannot be my self diagnosed bronchitis, laryngitis, sinusitis. But alas I suspect that is what it is. I'm not a big antibiotic person because as a nurse I always suspect viral over bacterial and I think that we are so guilty of overusing antibiotics, but I finally broke down and called my doctor today to beg him to call me in some medication. I spent the entire night in a stupor, jacked up on NyQuil and Robitussin and yet I continued to cough the entire night. I sound like a 3 pack a day smoker! How my husband slept through that is beyond me. When I was a kid my dad made us take a mixture of whiskey, honey, and lemon juice when we had a cough. What I wouldn't have given for a bottle of Jack Daniels around midnight last night. The honey and lemon juice didn't really matter at that point. On, and a side note, I couldn't believe that I had to show my ID to buy Robitussin. It's not behind the counter but yet I was carded for it. I guess I have that meth addict look about me and you can never be to careful these days........I wonder if they would card me if I bought Jack Daniels.



Emma is better. She still has a bit of a stuffy nose but it's much improved and she is so stinking cute right now that I could just eat her up. She is so funny watching Cinderella (she calls it Rella) and the 101 Datamations. She has to pretend to be doing everything they are doing in the movies. She spent several minutes yesterday acting like she was putting her foot in an imaginary slipper. This kiddo just cracks me up.



Her other adorable thing right now is telling me that she will "be right back" and holding up her little finger. It doesn't matter if she is walking into the other room or going from one end of the bath tub to the other, she tells me she will be right back. She is very serious about it.



She continues to like school but is always so excited when I walk in the door. She is usually eating her lunch and when she looks up and and sees me, she just beams and and the teachers just crack up.



So, not a lot of excitement to offer today. I just want to be felt sorry for since I have the plague and it's cutting into my plans of house cleaning. Sad isn't it?

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Sorry you're sick - it sounds awful!

Amy said...

Hope you feel better soon!!

Linda said...

Oh the old shots of Whiskey, lemon juice and honey. It might help the cough but it's so stinkin nasty.It couldn't be much worse if you drank Mr. Jack staight out of the bottle. lol

Maria said...

Ok, so I know you are a nurse and all and have probably heard it all, BUT... I swear to you this works and everyone I've told it to who tried it swears it works too. Rub Vicks Vaporub ALL OVER your feet, put socks on and go to bed. You will not cough. End of cough. No Robitussin (or ID) needed. Sorry you feel bad. Try "Nurse Maria's" remedy. :-) Hope you feel better.

Oh, and Ellie's doing that same "right back" thing too -- very serious about it and all. They are so funny!!

Rachel said...

I hope you feel better!

Wife of the Pres. said...

Hope you're feeling better?

"be right back" that is hilarious!