Tuesday, May 4, 2010

When I Said I Do, I Meant That I.......

I am a farm girl. I have a lot of fond memories of working on the farm. I also have some that I wouldn't consider "fond". Just because I was born a farm girl didn't mean I liked all that went along with it.


When I Bo and I were dating in high school he used to laugh and say he never knew what he would see in our kitchen sink when he brought me home from a date. My dad and brother liked to hunt and there was always some type of wild game around. We also killed our own pork and beef, so I was used to that lifestyle growing up. Not a bad racket actually.


I do not ever recall killing our own chickens. We got our own eggs, but that was the extent of that. I have heard my mom talk about killing chickens when she was a kid and young adult.


Well, today was the day. My husband decided today was the day to begin our journey to self sufficiency and all natural eating. Well, I'm really just making that up. I think he just wanted to kill something.


So the before shots are really yucky I know. I was a bit overwhelmed when he brought these in to me to cut up into pieces. I have cut up many chickens before, but those were neatly packaged and on sale from the store for .89 cents a pound. These were not neatly packaged at all. They bordered on being disgusting. Bordered heck, they were Disgusting. So what is a self respecting farm girl to do in a situation like this. CALL MY MOM. So my sweet mother came over and helped me cut up these creatures. Apparently there is a lot more involved in cutting up a whole chicken that has been freshly killed than one that you buy at Kroger. Well, 4 chickens and a little heaving later, this was the final result.

So my chicken is fresh. I know where it came from and what it was fed. I know they were treated well. Except for that one rooster who was always getting picked on by the others. As we say in the South, bless his heart. At least he doesn't have to suffer anymore.
The only thing missing during this chicken fiesta was Hank Williams Jr. singing "A Country Boy Can Survive" in the background.
Please note, no chickens suffered needlessly during this process. If you are a member of PETA do not contact me. This was not my decision and you really don't want to mess with my husband. I have seen him with an axe and it scared me:)


5 comments:

Beth T. said...

I'm amazed and so glad that "cool Daddy" never decided to do that while I was around! :-)

Melissa said...

I just had the conversation with Brian over the weekend about trying to do more natural food and finding a farm with chickens and fresh milk.He, of course, is not on board. And after seeing your pics, not sure what I was thinking about fresh chickens. LOL

Brenna said...

Good for you! Our family challenged ourselves to Live Off the Land during the past couple of months. We've been eating great, and I've saved some serious dough. It is a lot of work, though. Kudos for tackling those birds ~ So far our hens are just used for eggs, then they retire to other farms.

Anonymous said...

How was it? Have you cooked any, yet? Now I know where to send Bob for "chicken preparation" lessons.

Brenda

Wife of the Pres. said...

OH.MY.GOODNESS.

We just had a conversation tonight about how we wished we could have chickens. We live in a neighborhood and for some reason … LOL … they won't allow FRESH, LIVE poultry.

As for your job here, my uncle raised hogs and I saw that once. OH.MY.GOODNESS. The smell, the sounds. I would make a bad farm wife!