Monday, May 23, 2011

Busy, Busy, Busy

The last week has been busier that usual, if that is possible. The school year is winding down, the soccer season ended this weekend, and AAU has started up. So here is our week in review with pictures.



Ashton had an AAU tournament this weekend. He and Bo were gone all day Saturday for that and we all spent the day yesterday watching a gazillion basketball games. The highlight was the fact that our team won the tournament in their age group. Ashton played very well and has been sporting his "medal" since coming home. The low point - Emma drank from a stranger's McDonald's cup and I didn't realize it until after the fact. For those of you who don't know me, I am a bit uptight about drinking after people, so for my kid to drink out of a total stranger's cup - well the thought of it just about makes me want to call the CDC. Total Yuck.....
We were at a university recreation center for the games and Emma was very intrigued by the rock wall.




Brady had his band banquet on Saturday night and I have to say he looked rather handsome.


Even in a suit and tennis shoes.....




Just playing around.


Saturday was our soccer tournament. Unfortunately we didn't win our game and we were out of the tournament. Well, unfortunately is a relative term.......Emma was very excited about her trophy.


Coach Ray has been a very patient coach. Trying to keep 10 4 year old kids in line is not something I would want to do. He has been great and we are already signed up for fall soccer and he will be our coach.



Emma's favorite part of the whole soccer game is pouring water on Coach's head.






Friday was our last day of preschool until fall. They had a party that morning and the kids were, in the words of Rory, WOUND UP! They were wild. Running and playing and jumping. Typical end of school activity.



Emma had a great "school year" and I can look back over the last few months and see just how much she has blossomed. I am so proud of her and so happy that she has had the opportunity.



Saying goodbye to Paizley.


This is her favorite boy in the world. She loves Kolton. He will be moving up to Kindergarten and Emma will be heartbroken.



Not surprisingly, Emma won the "Most Helpful" award. This could translate into, I want to do everything for everybody and I want to be in charge......


I feel like I am missing out on documenting some of Emma's antics right now. This blog will serve as a reminder so that someday I can catch up on scrap booking. So here are a few funny Emma Antics...


  • She has started moving things off of my desk and making life a bit more difficult for me. I turned the house upside down looking for something that I had to get in the mail on Friday and finally found it under her movie in the living room.

  • I found one of her movies in the refrigerator.

  • I found her sneaking back into her bed on Friday, while she was supposed to be napping. She had on her pink Mickey Mouse ears and was carrying a book. She gave me that look that said "Yes, you caught me."

  • One of her favorite things to watch right now is "The Cricket on the Hearth", a Christmas Dickens classic. She gets a magazine and holds it while she sings carols. It's pretty adorable.

  • Her other favorite thing to do is wear her Christmas apron and take orders. She has been watching Rataouille and suddenly she has become the chef.

  • Her imagination is really growing. Watching her play is so enjoyable and I am always wondering what she thinks she is doing. I wish she could tell me.

We get our hearing aids on Wednesday. That should prove to be interesting....




I had one of those momma bear moments on Saturday morning at the playground. We had finished our soccer game and she wanted to play for a few minutes. I was busy getting all of our stuff together and when I looked up I saw a group of little kids gathered around Emma and they were staring and some of them were pointing. Needless to say, I was not happy. I went over to check on her and after calming down a bit I told the kids what her name was and asked if they had any questions. One of the little girls said "We are just wondering what happened to her fingers?" I told her that Emma was born that way and left it at that. In my defense, I was exhausted. I had worked Friday night and part of a shift Thursday night and had not gotten very much sleep. Of course Emma had no idea what they were doing, but at some point she will and I won't always be there for her. Our goal is to help Emma have great self esteem and be able to deal with situations like this that will always crop up. However, parents need to teach their kids that pointing and staring are inappropriate no matter what. I have become so much more acutely aware of that since Emma came along.



I realize that this will be an ongoing thing for us and at some point it won't bother me as much. Well, maybe.


1 comment:

Sarah said...

Well, I think Miss Emma is PERFECT. I'm wondering why WE have 5 fingers! :)

That photo of you Emma with her big brother is SO precious! VERY frame worthy!

And yes, summer is literally right around the corner. I can't wait to have a break from homeschooling actually! lol ;)

Sarah